Chapter 5: Turned

Start from the beginning

As for Audra. . . Looking at her, I was met with silence and an unreadable face. She must had been still irked with my fight with Neil earlier in the car.

My face was burning with shame as I got back to Emily. "Your phone?" I muttered.

"Right this way."

The other's conversation had resumed the moment Emily and I stepped into the hallway. There were paintings on the walls, depictions of flowers and sceneries which I was looking at when Emily spoke. "You like them?" she said, trying to coax me into a relaxing conversation.

"They're pretty," was all I could say.

In front me, still looking forward, she gave a small nod. "Olivia is a painter. I, myself, am an architect. When we adopted Hanz, we wanted him to have a beautiful home like this. So we did it. We did everything for him."

"Amazing. . ."

She chuckled. "You're not much of a talker, are you?"

"No."

She smiled. At least, I could sense her do so as we climbed the modern stairs. They, themselves looked like works of art, what with the combination of wood, steel, and glass.

Before long, Emily pointed to a door. "That's the master's bedroom. It's where I left my cellphone this morning."

I nodded. Even though from in front she couldn't see me nod. It was the only thing I could do so as to not feel awkward. Or worried. It was going to be alright, now that we were here.

My parents had told me to be calm in the event of an emergency like this. But I guess I was far from being a Doctor like them. All I'd done so far was to panic. And humiliate myself. I mean, I thought we were dead.

I was fiddling with my bracelet when Emily opened the door. "Come," she beckoned. "I'd like to show you the bedroom."

"Uhm. . ."

"It's okay. It's just to get you relaxed." Her smile was warm when she pulled me inside, closed the door gently behind her. In there was a queen-sized bed, and a wall made entirely of glass, peeking onto a private garden. However, I was turned away from those, instead made to focus right back to Emily who was still smiling at me. "Lovely, isn't it?" she said. "You can sit on the bed, while I look for my phone."

"A-alright," I muttered, although I didn't want to.

I mean, my legs were too wobbly and I knew that maybe I should sit down. But I was getting more and more anxious to get back to the others again, and on top of that, I wanted to call my parents who needed to know what had been happening to me. To us. This was crazy, like we'd been in the twilight zone.

But again, I tried to push the thought back, lest I begin to panic and think we were dead again.

Emily went to the bedside table. "How come this is the only time I'd ever seen you around?" she said.

"Uhm. . . I never got invited?" Or perhaps I was but I never cared to go.

Come to think of it, I might have noticed Hanz giving me a look or two a couple of years ago. I'd always thought it was because he pitied me. Or was laughing at me deep inside. But now, sitting here on his mother's bed, he probably thought it was a good idea to talk. Was I ever that obvious to anyone? Me, being lesbian?

I was fiddling with my bracelet again while Emily got back to me. "Shame," she said. "I would have loved to know you sooner, Pax Leighton."

"How come?"

But something weird stirred in my stomach. When had Hanz told him my full name again?

Except Emily didn't look like she had time to explain, especially when she raised her hand and the cellphone was missing.