Chapter 1: News Break

Start from the beginning

It was a few minutes after eating breakfast. My parents, who were both Doctors on Sierra Vista, the capital of Stalwart, were needed for tonight; on call for a few days. But for some reason, none of them looked like they wanted to go. Especially my mom, whose light brown eyes, perceptive as always, looking at me with worry.

I tucked my similar-colored hair away, then caught a glimpse of my freckled-specked face on the hallway mirror before shaking my head, which made mom frown even more. "Are you sure?" She prompted. "That you don't want us to stay?"

"Yes, mom. I'm sure."

A four-word answer from me. Which my dad, who was just exiting his study again— now with his bag, didn't look too fond off. "Maybe I should take a break." He sighed. "We'd been on call so much for the past few months, I feel like we hadn't been spending as much time as we need with you, Pax. Hey. . . " His face brightened, just as he straightened his scrubs. "I have an idea. Why don't you and I kill the day watching movies instead?"

"I have school, dad. But thanks."

"Are you sure, though?" He grinned. And just as he did, I felt a familiar jab in my stomach. His goofy smile, coupled with his dark brown eyes, reminded me of something.

I fiddled with the beaded bracelet on my wrist. "Really," I said. "You don't have to stay on my account. Besides, I have this. . . This school project."

"Oh?" Dad took to mom for support. But of course, both of them ended up looking a bit lost, as it always had been the case with me. So dad just cleared his throat and took a step towards me. "Look. . . " he trailed, reaching his hand. "I know it's been tough the past couple of months, what with school and us barely being here. And. . ." He quickly cleared his throat again, frowned. "Which reminds me. How are you holding up with the rally? It's all over the news."

"Rally? What's that got to do with anything?" I asked.

The two of them gave each other knowing looks, and a part of me realized what he was getting at, causing me to freeze.

"I. . . really need to make it to the bus stop now!" I panicked. "I don't want to be late for this. . . this thing!"

With that, I kissed my dad's left cheek. I kissed my mom's right cheek. And off to school I went.

My chest was about to burst when I made to the bus stop. How the hell did they manage to figure me out?

Lesbian; The word echoed in my head. Lesbian, like, someone who likes women. Lesbian, like, someone who feels differently— something I haven't experienced for any boy before.

Lesbian.

Like me.

"Uh, excuse me, but are you just going to stand there and get in our way?"

The question made me look behind. To a curly-haired boy with this pompous air around him, complete with a blue Hawaiian beach shirt, and a jacket thrown over it, was staring me up and down, was waving his hand towards me.

"Well?" Neil Rogers, I recognized him, folded his arms. He was in most of my classes. I could easily name the tall lanky boy who always had a scowl reserved for everyone.

I glanced beside him and saw his best friend, Audra Gillis, there as well, opening her lips.

I gulped. Well, that was my cue to leave, wasn't it?

Immediately, I stepped away from them, which I knew would be the better alternative than to have Neil Rogers irritated at me, especially so early in the morning.

He immediately took Audra's arm, pulled her towards the waiting bus that I didn't notice was already there. "Good call, Pax Leighton," Neil said, as they passed me by. "Audra, will you please hurry up?"