Melody Island, Part 2

Iris and the creature faced each other, neither one backing down.

The Deathsong was watching, wondering who the enemy was.

Finally the creature made the first move. It flew at her, sword poised to run her through.

Iris moved out of the way and twirled her wand, blasting a beam of light from it. The thing was fast, but she clipped it. It hissed in pain.

It flew up, then shot down like a bullet, its sword aimed straight for her. She moved out of the way very quickly, but it nicked her. She gritted her teeth, but recovered quickly.

The Deathsong still watched.

The battle continued to rage around it. Yet it watched, gazing at the thing, then at Iris, then back to the thing.

Finally deciding that Iris was not the enemy, it struck out. It spread its wings and flew up, roaring at the thing. Lashing out with its tail it knocked it out of the sky a bit.

Regaining its surroundings, it glared up at them. Then it took to the sky again rocketing up. Iris didn't wait and sent a blast of light towards it.

She missed, but the Deathsong didn't. It fired a chunk of amber at the thing. The thing plummeted, weighed down by the amber encasing its body. It screeched in frustration. When it hit the ground it disappeared.

Iris lit beside the chunk of amber, and looked at it. What had that thing been and what was its goal?

She then heard an appreciative crooning behind her. She turned. The Deathsong was looking at her, with a smile on its face. She approached cautiously, reaching out to pet it. It moved forward, making her hand touch the horn on its face.

She gazed at it in wonder, taking it in. It's skin was a beautiful amber orange, with blue butterfly designs on its wings. Fins rose from it's back. Smaller blue fins adorned its tail. Two horns protruded from the top of its head, with blue sort of fins off to the side. It's eyes were catlike, with a yellow ocre - colored sclera.

"You're beautiful" Iris breathed, running her hand over the smooth scales of it's neck. It made an appreciative purring sound.

She smiled sadly at it. "Unfortunately, I must go...I can't stay here much longer. I'm searching for a friend..." She took to the air. Then she realized the Deathsong had followed her

"Wait...you followed me? Do you want to stay with me?"

The Deathsong circled her, a happy expression on her face.

"I'll take that as a yes. But what should I name you?"

She studied the beautiful dragon and a perfect name came to her mind.

"Omisha. Or Omi for short."

Omi crooned happily at the name. "Guess that's your name then." She smiled.

Then the two took off into the sky together, now friends.