Travels and Tragedy

Iris flew through the in - between, or space, as others called it. She felt like calling it The In - Between. It just seemed much more mystical.

As she flashed by stars and empty spaces, she wondered where she was going. She didn't know where that man took her friend. Heck, she didn't know where any other worlds were, besides Traverse Town and her world.

She felt guilty that the last words she had said to her friend was that she didn't care what happened to her. She wished that she could reverse time and fix it.

But all she could do now was save Sunny before it was too late.

But where to begin?

Then, all of a sudden, out of the corner of her eye, she saw color.

She turned that way and saw another planet...another world.

This was just as good a place to start, she reasoned.

She flew toward it, wasting no time. She couldn't afford to waste time. Sunny's life depended on it.

She flew down, breaking the atmosphere. Coasting over the land, she could see a huge, ruined castle in the distance. Surrounded by a moat. There was a small town, a bit of a distance away from the castle. It was separated by a huge ravine. She could see ruins by the castle. A battle had taken place there, she reasoned.

She alighted on a cliff, that was almost just underneath the town. There were ruins here too. Looking directly in front of her she saw the ravine. As if a giant had come through and carved it himself.

She didn't want to meet anyone. Not yet. She wanted to do some poking around first. But first, she needed some rest.

Iris walked to the edge of the ruins and sat down, dangling her legs over the edge. The breeze blew, rustling her wings and blowing her hair around a little.

After a few minutes, she stood up and walked to the path she saw that would take her up to the town.

But as she walked into the town, she could feel eyes turning on her, whispers replacing normal conversations. She knew it was because of her wings, because she was so different. She tried to ignore them, to tune them out. But it was hard.

When at last she found an empty area, she leaned against the wall. She wiped the tears from her eyes, and stood up straight again. She couldn't let this get to her.

At least she was away from it all.

It had been a long time since she had felt like an outsider.

She always had felt comfortable with Sunny. But never had she been set apart as different for her wings.

She heard footsteps.

She looked up.

A man was walking toward her.

And he had a really big sword.

And he looked like he meant buisness.

"Who are you?"