Chapter XXIII: All Apologies (1/2)

"Trevor's in the next time we go to?" My eyes grew wide.

Liam's eyes met mine and nodded. I could see pain behind his gaze. I felt bad for him. He obviously didn't like Trevor because he was kind of the reason we had a falling out before, on the Titanic.

"Liam, you do know that he doesn't matter to me, right? I'm yours, and nothing will change that. No matter what, remember?" I said and kissed him on the cheek.

Liam said nothing and stared at the door.

"Please say something."

He shook his head slightly.

"Did I get back together with him? Is that what happened? Do I leave you? Because you know that's not going to happen. I love you and only you. You have to understand that. Also, how do we know that what you saw was true. I mean, you were in a coma?"

"I know, Kyara," he said a little harshly. Harsher than I would have expected from someone who just came out of a coma. "But that's what I saw and plus, I saw Hugo with the phone in that other vision I saw. So, this has to be true."

"But it won't happen. I'm not going back to Trevor. I just won't."

"How do you know? That's how I saw it in the future."

"We'll change the future then. I'm not going back to Trevor. I promise."

It was silent for a few minutes.

"I need some rest," he said.

"Okay." I lay down next to him and nuzzled my head into his neck.

I could feel his chest take a deep breath. "Alone," he whispered.

I pulled my head up to look at him. A single tear fell down his pale cheeks.

"What?" I felt tears enter my own eyes.

"I'm sorry. But I need time alone."

I nodded and then walked out of the room, slowly, waiting for him to change his mind, but he didn't. As I entered the kitchen, everyone looked up, except Mom, who was cutting up carrots with her back turned. Everyone else sat at the table and the talking ceased when I stopped walking.

"Everything okay?" Bryan asked.

That's when Mom turned around and looked at me.

Tears filled my eyes as Hugo stood up quickly and started toward Liam's room. I held his arm and pulled him back before he got far enough.

"Is he okay?" Hugo asked, quicker than he normally speaks and with fright in his tone.

"Yes. He just wants to be alone."

"Honestly, I don't think that's smart—"

"I think he's fine." I let go of Hugo's arm and he stared at me, asking for certainty with his eyes.

I nodded. "You can check on him in a little bit if you want. He just needs to be alone for now."

Bryan stood up and walked over to me. "What's wrong?"

I shook my head and walked over to the table and sat at an empty chair between Luke and Dad. Dad patted my back and asked if I wanted to talk about it. Again, I shook my head. I leaned back in the chair and let a few tears flow from my eyes. I wanted to be alone, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to go to my room without answering a few questions first. So, I just sat there, listening to Mom continue chopping carrots.