Chapter X: The Story of a Liar

"When I was four, my mom left us because she thought that my dad was spending too much time on scientific stuff and not enough with his family. She decided not to take me with her, and I still don't know the reason why." Bella began.

We had all calmed down slightly and decided that we wanted to give Bella a chance to explain.

"When I was ten years old, Dad made a cell phone into a phone that would be able to call to any place in the world and needed no service in order to do so. Then that led him to another idea that many people have dreamed of making a reality. A time machine. He loved cell phones, so he decided he would transform one into a time machine.

"Two years ago, he finished making one, and he tested it out, going back to the day I was born. The time machine worked perfectly and then I realized that my Dad did care about me, even if it seemed like he didn't, and he was always working. He came back from the past and started making another based on the ways he made the first. I basically raised myself since I was ten because he never had time for me. But that also meant that I could do whatever I wanted. I had stayed at friends' houses most days, and Dad didn't even notice. . ." She shrugged her shoulders, making it seem like she was used to it. "Last year he finished the second and started working on a third.

"A few days after school ended this year, I was in his office where he was creating the third time machine and picked up the second time machine he had already finished-or so he thought. I dropped it accidentally, but it didn't break. Dad looked at me and told me that he made a protection guard on the phone so that if it were dropped, it wouldn't crack. Also, if it went into the water, it would not break, which gives you the answer on how we got off the Titanic.

"I went down to pick it up, but next thing I knew, I was spinning out of control. I stopped but did not have a clue to where I was. The time machine wasn't in my hands and I was looking around for it, when I felt a vibration in my pocket. I took out the cell phone that Dad transformed into one that would take calls from anywhere around the world. There was a text on the screen asking where I was. I said that I had no idea. He told me to start walking and see where I could be, so I obeyed.

"After a while I saw a village with a large round building in the middle. I took a picture of the scene with my phone and sent it to my dad. He told me I was in Rome and told me that I should go into the Coliseum and see if gladiator fights were going on. If there were, I was about 2,000 years back in time. So, I went into town, and sure enough, there were fights going on. That's when my dad realized that the second time machine had a glitch in it. The glitch, we came to find out, was that once you travel to a different time, the phone disappears and ends up somewhere else in that time. Dad said he would make the third as quickly as he could so that he could come see me."

"He couldn't use the first one he made?" Bryan asked, and I understood that it didn't make sense either.

"He had let one of his "friends" borrow it to go back in time to change something so his life would be better. After that, we never heard from him again. Which was one reason why the second phone had a glitch in it because he didn't have the first, working one to help him fully. So, he began making the third one, telling me to stay calm and that if I somehow find the phone, to not do anything with it because things could only get worse. So, I "stayed calm" and walked around town and realized that I could understand everyone. My dad told me that the time machine makes it possible for the owner of the machine to understand the language of that time, as well as speak the language of that time, without even knowing it."

"Wait!" Bryan interrupted.

"So, we are speaking in a different language right now?" I asked, on the same track as Bryan.