Epilogue

"Melissa, before you say anything... —I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. I want you to be happy, I do." I muttered, holding back a few tears.

"But... after all we've been through together. It's going to be hard for me not to have you by my side anymore."

I looked away.

"You could always call...?"

The bathroom door opened behind me interrupting our emotional conversation completely. Scott walked inside dressed in an elegant black suit.

"Did I interrupt anything?" He asked us in a whisper. "Gina, you're kinda... Running late."

I looked over at her, who was drying her cheeks. 

"It's fine, Scott. We'll be there in a sec." I told him.

Once he walked away I cupped the cheeks of my best friend and said:

"He's the love of your life, do not forget that."

She nodded firmly and took in a mouthful of air.

"Let's go," She said. "I'm getting married."

-

"That was the most beautiful ceremony I've ever attended, thank you so much for the invitation!" 

"Thank you for coming, Mrs. Winfrey!" Scott smiled as they both shook hands.

It was hard for me not to scream at her touch, I shook her hand as gently as I could and sent her a shy smile.

"You can call me Oprah, Scott! We're not strangers!" She laughed. "Oh, and Melissa..." 

We locked gazes and she tenderly raised her hand to touch my chin.

"This is a man you got." She said in a whisper when she noticed Scott wasn't paying attention.

I couldn't help but blush.

"I know." I mouthed back.

"Ahh!" Oprah sighed. "You both can give me a call whenever you want. Now, where are the love birds at? I'd love to take a picture with them. The bride's dress is absolutely gorgeous!"

After we introduced her to Gina and Hunter, Scott and I ran straight to the catering table. We both were thrown into the chocolate fountain. Strawberries, banana, watermelon, pineapple, all dipped in hot melted chocolate, next to Scott Blackstone, a dream come true. I didn't know what I was most excited to eat, the food or Scott. 

-

It was late, almost everyone had already left. It was only a few of us left slow dancing in the venue. The lights had been darkened, Scott was holding my waist and I was resting my arms on his shoulders. I peeked at Gina and Hunter from the distance, they looked so happy. I smiled at the sight of Gina's ring sparkling under the disco ball. My two best friends, together forever.

"What are you thinking of?" Scott whispered in my ear when he noticed I was distracted. 

I rested my cheek on top of his chest taking in all of his scent. Scott made me happy.

"I'm so proud of them."

Scott held me tighter and lied the palm of his hand on my head, messing my hair tenderly. Our bodies were still moving at the rhythm of the slow music, that was almost reaching to the end. 

"You could have that too, you know?" He said in a mumble after kissing my hair quickly.

I pulled away smoothly and locked gazes with him. "What do you mean?"

"Their relationship."

I bit my lip. Hunter and Gina just got married. Was he implying we should get married too?

"I'm not ready..." I muttered lowering my gaze.

Scott grinned at my answer, he cupped my cheek and drew my eyes back to his.

"Hey, chill! I wasn't asking you to be my bride." He assured with a smile.

I smiled back at him hiding my relief and rested my head back on his chest.

"But it would be nice, you know... someday."

I don't know what it was, but right after he said that my eyes started to water. It was then when I knew I would indeed marry him... someday. His face was the only thing I wanted to see in the mornings, his hugs were the only thing I longed for after a long day. I wanted his lips to dance with mine until our last day. I knew I could tell him anything, I knew he would give me the best advice possible. He wanted me to be happy, and I wanted the same for him. We made the perfect team. 

I was sure he was the one. The past two years had fairly proved it. After thick and thin, after disaster, after sorrow, we were still next to each other, ready to confront any other conflict. After all, that's what a relationship is all about, him and I against whatever the world decides to throw at us. He got my back and I got his, defeat was no longer in our dictionaries.

"I'd love to marry you someday, Scott."

The End.