41. (part two)

"All of the evidence has now been presented. At this time, the judge will tell you the law you must apply in what arecalled jury instructions. Listen very carefully to the three things the judge will tell you that the prosecution must prove." The guide read.

We all rose from our seats. Phil sent Burrows an intimidating look, of course Phil's job had been evidently more meticular than Burrows' attorney. It was only a matter of time they would declare him and his daughter guilty.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I am now going to read to you the law that you must follow in deciding this case," Said the judge, taking the gavel in his hand. "To prove the crime charged against the defendant, the prosecution must prove three things to you: First, that the defendant A Lisa Burrows faked her own pregnancy just to get Scott Blackstone's funds in marriage; Second, that the defendant B Senator Burrows was the main conspiror of the plan, taking advantage of her daughter's vulnerability and making use of public money to bribe the secret service into kidnapping the Blackstones; and Third, that the defendant B Senator Burrows is currently out of money as for his dependance on his daughter's wedding and will not be able to pay for any of his bribes, which can lead us to think he may conspire again against figures of power."

The room remained silent, the accusations against the Senator were absolutely crazy for someone as big-time as himself. We knew everything was true, now it was time for the jury to believe so.

"Either permanently or temporarily, if each of you believes that the prosecution proved all three of these things beyond a reasonable doubt, then you should find the defendant guilty. But if you believe the prosecution did not prove anyone of these things beyond a reasonable doubt, then you must find the defendant not guilty." Judge Houston finished, slamming the gavel against the table. 

The guide turned around to face Phil once again, he knew what to do.

"The final arguments are the attorneys' last chance to talk to the jury about the evidence and to try to convince you to see the case the way they do. Are you ready with the final arguments?"

Phil nodded. "Yes, Your Honor."

He walked to the stand, without any papers, notes or whatsoever. Scott and I both couldn't keep our stare away from him. This was it.

"Your Honor, and ladies and gentlemen of the jury: The judge has told you that we must prove threethings. There is absolutely no question about the first thing we must prove. The defendant was caught on her period while claiming to be carrying a child, which is biologically impossibe, at the same time it has been proved that her economical scale was found decreasing exponentially. Which leads us to confirm our theory about the Second and Third things we must prove. The defendant B found himself lacking of private funds to finance his party, he dragged her daughter into his plan B when he saw plan A wasn't working out.

We know, as a matter of a fact, Scott Blackstone never wanted to marry Lisa Burrows. In fact, Scott Blackstone had a girlfriend when Lisa viralized her pregnancy. The Senator's main plan was to link both families and gain funds from its bond, when he saw Scott Blackstone was indeed not interested in wedding his daughter, Burrows found himself in need of urgent aid which could only be assisted by illegal actions. Therefore, according to what the judge justtold you, that is all we have to prove. Based on the evidence, you mustfind the defendant guilty."

The jury dropped their heads and gazed to the papers in front of them where they would define the Burrows' and Blackstones' futures. My future, too.

Scott's hand made its way to mine under the table, his touch sent shivers through all my skin as I looked up at him. His eyes were sparkling with joy, it seemed like he already knew the veredict. Maybe I did too, maybe we all did. Burrows' attorney didn't present any evidence to refute Phil's charges. It didn't take the jury long to make an answer and pass their sheets to the judge, who studied them all in detail before taking a few notes himself.