31.

Watch out for the witch. -Mel

I pressed the send button right after I hung up on him. Scott was already in front of my building, waiting for me to open the front door.

??? whaaaat -Scott

The housekeeper, miss Olson. She's probably out there. We're not supposed to have people coming over this late!! -Mel

You could've warned me earlier. I wouldn't have started any of this... - Scott.

I rolled my eyes without believing his words.

Yeah sure. Come on up. -Mel.

I walked over to the electronic device that would let Scott get in the building and pressed the key button, a buzz made it clear that he had made his entrance. I opened the door of the apartment slightly and waited for him to appear. The wait killed me, every second that passed, my heart was closer to exploding out of my chest. It was true that I had recently seen Scott, but this was different. The feeling took me back to that year's winter, when him and I would share little precious moments, talking about life and planning our futures.

I didn't know how the night would end. What I certainly knew was that Scott was an engaged man. The only way I could let myself look at him was as a friend.

ding

The elevator.

The metallic doors opened, enlightening the corridor that lead the way to the apartment door, a little string of light sneaking in the living room, where I was silently trying to steady my breaths.

His footsteps became louder until they stopped, the door creaked slightly. His head popped from the side of the door.

"Hey," He whispered.

I shook my head as I massaged my temple. I still don't get why you're here."

"Actually, me neither." He admitted. "I thought we'd go for a walk, you persuaded me into this."

My jaw dropped. I persuaded him? The elevator's doors closed, leaving us in a complete utter darkness. I heard the door closing behind him.

"What do you suggest we do now, smartass?" I asked him in a whisper, realizing there wasn't much to do up here.

My eyes slowly started to adjust to the dim light from the street that scarcely illuminated the room.

"You tell me."

I folded my arms. "Don't be a fool. You called me, you must have a plan!"

A shocked expression was now plastered onto his face as he took a seat next to me in the couch. "A plan?"

"Look, my roommate is sleeping right there. If we wake her up, she'll freak out at your sight and that'll most definitely catch miss Olson's attention. She has dog ears," I told him seriously.

His lips slowly curved up into a smirk. "You're worried about me. Awh!"

I rolled my eyes as I dropped his gaze.

"Why are you here, Scott?"

The final question. It seemed to get him.

"I— er..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "Damnit, Mel. You know I miss you."

I pressed my lips in a thin line and reminded myself he was about to get married.

"So what?" I shrugged. "I moved on. You surely didn't."

His eyes seemed to break for a moment, but that moment disappeared as it came. A posh smirk appeared on his face in less than a second.

"You moved on? Moved on from what?" He started. "You know we never had anything, officially, at least. You were great company when things got bad, I appreciate it. But you have to understand I'm not single anymore."