Chapter Fifteen- Think Happy Thoughts

“Matt, d’you think you could play in time for me?”

 The air conditioner in the music studio was broken and even though it was now winter it was way too hot in there. Everyone was mad and annoyed and it wasn’t supposed to be this way. We were trying to record our first ever song- Sing For Me- and nothing was going as planned; Jake had turned up to the studio two hours late with a massive hangover, George was freaking out about messing up the vocals, Matt was freaking out about messing up everything, Bryan was strangely quiet and Rich was getting angry about everyone being afraid.

 “Guys, come on! This is supposed to be fun, not scare the living shit out of you!” he groaned, exasperated.

 “Yeah, well, sorry that we’re not all musical fucking geniuses like you!” Matt snapped back.

 Our tech, Rio, put his head in his hands and sighed from behind his desk. In front of him laid a thousand buttons and dials, none of which I knew the purpose of. Rich seemed to be the only one who knew what was going on. Bryan knew a little about tech but not much. Jake was slumped on the sofa in the corner of the studio, struggling to stay awake.

 “Guys, can I have a minute?” I asked. “I need some fresh air.”

 “This is costing money, you know!” Rio called to me through the glass, but I had already unstrapped Ebony and was headed for the Emergency Exit door.

 That’s what I needed; an emergency exit.

 Everything was going so quickly and we’d had barely any time to think anything through. The record label had approached us and when we’d hesitated they’d offered us a deal on the studio price. We still didn’t have a manager and only a part-time representative- we wanted to pick those out carefully.

 The air outside was cool and welcoming and I found myself fumbling to get my packet of cigarettes out quickly. I didn’t like the fact that I had become so addicted to smoking, but I really didn’t feel like quitting. Smoking made me relax a little, and right now that was all I needed…

 The door opened behind me and I turned round to see George. He clearly didn’t find the cold air quite as welcoming as I did, and stood there shivering.

 “Everything’s fucked up.” he told me simply.

 “You don’t say?”

 I raised the cigarette to my lips and inhaled the toxins, breathing out slowly. George stepped forward and took the cigarette from my hand, smoking it himself. It felt like an age since we had last been alone together, and I kind of felt like I missed him as I pulled him into a hug. He huddled against me, the side of his face pressed against my shoulder as he raised the cigarette to his lips once more. We stood there for a while without moving, my chin resting on the top of his head. He raised the cigarette to his lips once again before pulling back and raising it to mine. Just as I started to exhale the smoke, he kissed me.

 “Oh, sorry guys…”

 I opened my eyes to see Rio standing by the door.

 “D’you think we’ll ever get to kiss without someone walking in on us?” I asked George. He laughed.

 “I didn’t realise you were, uh…” Rio said sheepishly.

 “We don’t like to be too public.” George said. Rio nodded. “Shall we go back inside?”

 Everyone had calmed down a bit now, and we were ready to try again. Rio didn’t have much in the way of criticism for the song itself and I took that as a good sign. We all played better and within a few hours the song was recorded.