Chapter Twenty-Nine- I'll Meet Your Eyes

There had been a wide variety of points in my life at which I thought I had hit rock bottom, but being put in handcuffs and dragged off in the back of a police car with the entire student body of my old school watching was definitely a strong contender for first place. I couldn’t look George in the eye as he frantically motioned in my direction, so when the vehicle pulled away from the curb I simply stared straight ahead and remained silent.

 I was fucking terrified.

 The drive to the police station was dull and made worse by the fact that I actually had no idea where the building even was. Never in all my seventeen years of living in the same shitty little town had I ever noticed a police station. So I began to think things, stories in my mind- this was all fake, I was being taken to rehab, I was being locked away, I’d never see my loved ones again… My heart was pounding in my chest as we slowly came to a halt, and then the female officer driving the car got out and opened the door beside me. Being escorted inside was one of the weirdest experiences of my entire life…

 The police station was quiet, something I hadn’t expected. I half wanted there to be men in shirts with rolled up sleeves and trouser with braces, a cigarette sticking out of the corner of their mouths as they screamed about shoddy paperwork- very ‘Life on Mars’. But there was none of that. There was just radio noise and coughs and sneezes and dullness.

 “Name?”

 “James King.”

 “Date of birth?”

 “June 15th 1996.”

 They asked me where I lived and for a contact number- my mother needed to be there because I was under eighteen and therefore required an appropriate adult to be present while I was questioned and blah, blah fucking blah… Before she could get there someone had to sit in on the grand event of me being searched, which was utterly pointless because I had been too blinded by vodka infused rage to grab anything before heading to the school.

 A smile crossed my face as I was taken to the back where the cells were, though for the life of me I didn’t know what was so amusing. In the cell I sat down and waited for what seemed like forever and a day. More thoughts rattled their way through my skull, like how I had let my family down… One brother dead and another arrested in the same day. How much longer could chaos rein our lives? Thinking about what George was doing, I bit down on my lip- was he trying to get to me or to the rest of our family?

 Being held in a cell is boring. There’s nothing to look at, nothing to do. My paranoia started acting up because I wasn’t really in a police cell, I was actually being held in solitary confinement within a mental institution, dreaming up the arrest to calm myself… Lies, all lies and madness. Fiction. All I could do was sit and wait and think about what I’d done and what might happen. Was I going to go to jail? Caught up in the moment, I had beaten the absolute shit out of Liam. I hadn’t even intended to hurt him that badly… it just kind of happened.

 Burying my head in my hands, I felt drained of energy. My knuckles were cracked, bleeding and bruised after coming into contact so roughly with Liam’s skull, and they began to throb slowly.

 And then in the distance I heard George arrive.

 “…James King, where is he?”

 “Sir-”

 “Don’t sir me, please. I know you’re only doing your job, or whatever, but a lot of crap has gone down today that you need to know about-”

 “Sir-”

 “What’re you gonna do, huh? You gonna give him the chair? The lethal injection- or swing from a rope if you dare?” he screamed, and I laughed to myself because only George would think to quote My Chemical Romance at a time like this…