Chapter Eleven- I Find It Hard To Stay With The Words You Say

Everyone at school now officially knew that I was gay for one George Foster. Everyone at school now officially knew that one George Foster was gay for me. We decided that hiding our relationship was impossible now… so when George met me at the school gates the next day, I held my hand out to him. He paused. Then he took my hand and together we walked to the form block. People stared at us. It didn’t help that I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt; the condition of my arms were still a marvel to my fellow students. Whilst I hadn’t cut in quite a while now, there were so many scars and some cuts still healing. So people stared at those, and then they followed down my arms to my hand holding another hand and followed up that arm to see George.

 Everyone knew, but they still seemed shocked about it.

 We had agreed that whilst holding hands at school was occasionally acceptable, kissing definitely wasn’t. So many people around us were so homophobic, it just didn’t make sense for us to push them that far. However, if anyone started on us we would fight back- that was a given.

 We walked down the corridor to our lockers and people parted for us like the red sea. Most had disgusted looks on their faces. Quite a few girls actually looked kind of upset now that the rumours had been proven true before their very eyes. I couldn’t blame them. George was ridiculously handsome. My locker was the closest through the doors that we had just entered through to the corridor, so we stopped there first. George leant against the locker beside mine as I fumbled with the lock and opened it. I shifted my Misfits backpack off my shoulder and started putting my books inside.

 “Um, excuse me? Can I get to my locker, please?” asked a quiet female voice.

 We both turned to see a new student standing behind us. She had pale skin and long, dark brown hair- almost black- with a swooping side fringe which dipped low enough to cover her left eye. Her skin was pale which made her naturally dark red lips stand out, making her look somewhat like a rock and roll Snow White. She was wearing a black skirt with a studded belt, black opaque but ripped tights and dark grey army boots. Her shoulders were rounded making her seem self-conscious and unconfident, and she looked at us through her fringe.

 “Sure, sorry.” George said, and he moved out of the way.

 The girl blushed and gave him a quick smile before opening her locker and hiding behind the door. George pouted and mouthed ‘Aww’ to me. I grinned at him and shut my locker. We were about to walk away when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

 “I’m sorry to bother you again… but do you know where Mr Young’s form room is?” the girl asked me timidly.

 “Sure, that’s my form room. Walk with us?” I offered.

 She nodded but walked slightly behind us instead of with us. George instructed me to take her to form instead of going to his locker, so I nodded and kissed him quickly on the cheek before he waltzed off and I led the girl to our classroom. Her eyes were wide as she took in her surroundings; she was terrified. I didn’t blame her- I had been so nervous on my first day too.

 Her breath caught and she turned on her heel, fleeing from the room. I ran after her, chasing her through the corridors. She led me all the way to the winding metal staircase at the back of the music block where she sat halfway down the fire escape stairs, hyperventilating.

 “Easy, take it easy. Deep breaths… I know it’s scary.” I said. I mentally made a note of the fact that she sat with awkward knees; she was another Matt, another Maisy, another me. “So, what’s your name?” I asked her when she’d calmed down a little.

 “Rebecca,” she said, and then she added. “but people call me Bex.”

 “Nice to meet you, Bex, I’m James.” I told her, and we shook hands politely. Then silence. “So, can I ask why you’ve joined our school of magic, hope and wonder?”