Chapter Seven- Headfirst For Halos

I decided to tell my mum about the band as soon as I got home, and so invited Jake to come with me. We dispersed one by one from the Foster household and then me and Jake got the bus back to town and walked to my house from there.

 It felt like it had been a long time since I’d hung out one-to-one with Jake, and I’d truly forgotten how fun he was to be around. Every single conversation with him, no matter how serious, always somehow turned into something hilarious. I playfully punched him on the arm as he joked about something and he mocked pain, falling to the ground and writhing around. People walking past stopped to stare at him and ask if he was alright and I practically cried with laughter, as did he. The people frowned as he jumped up and told them he was fine.

 “So…” he said, his laughter coming to an end- for now. “…you and George, eh?”

 “Yep. Me… and George…” I said.

 “Well, you don’t need to sound so enthusiastic.”

 “Well would you like me to sound like I want to rape him?”

 “…Do you want to rape him?”

 “I’m gonna say no…”

 “Well good, ‘cause that would be weird…”

 I burst into another round of laughter and he laughed too. My stomach started to hurt and I was running out of air so I had to stop walking and hold onto him for support. The annoying thing was that his laughter was so infectious that it made me laugh even more, and then he laughed at my laugh…

 We stopped giggling long enough to make it all the way home. I pulled out my keys and opened the front door.

 “Mum? It’s me- and Jake!” I called to her. She had now met all the guys, not at the same time, just one by one.

 “Oh, hey you two.” she said, coming out of the kitchen.

 Her hair was done up and she had all her makeup on as well as a tight, short black dress. I frowned at her and she shifted under my gaze like an embarrassed teenage girl.

 “What’s going on, mum?” I asked her.

 “Well, Rob- I mean, Mr Hughes- may ever so slightly be here for dinner…” she said quietly. I groaned.

 “But mum! I wanted to talk to you about something-”

 “Can’t it wait, sweetie! Just till a little later, I swear. We’re just having dinner and then he will be leaving. Look, here’s my purse, order a pizza or two or five for you and Jake. Just, please, stay out of the kitchen.” she begged, chucking the purse to me and disappearing through the door again.

 It felt so weird. I’d had so many years of my mother’s undying attention, and now there was something else for her to focus on that, besides to her work sometimes, I wasn’t used to coming second. I stood there, frozen for a moment, staring at the purse in my hands. Was this the start of things changing? I was growing up now but the thought that my mum might find a new man had never even crossed my mind. Was she going to starting dating a lot? Oh god, what if she decided to stick with Mr Hughes and they got married… I pushed the thought from my mind before I could retch. I turned my attention back to Jake who was staring, open mouthed, at the spot where my mother had just stood.

 “Yo, Jake!” I said, snapping my fingers in front of his face so he blinked. He looked at me sheepishly.

 “Sorry, James, I-”

 “Do not make a comment referring to my mother as hot or stunning. Not now, not ever.” I snapped, sensing the direction of his thoughts. He bowed his head and I rolled my eyes, pushing him into the living room.