Chapter Eight- Early Sunsets Over Monroeville [Part Two]

The weekend at Bryan’s seemed to be a huge success. We got three songs written and, I have to say, they sounded pretty damn awesome. It wasn’t as difficult as we had thought to have three guitarists; in fact, it was kind of better as we could have more going on. Everyone fit together well and the music we made was definitely something I’d want to listen to. It was Sunday evening now, the Foster brothers had already gone home and it was just me, Jake, Rich and Bryan, of course. Rich was the next to go home and me and Jake were waiting for my mum to pick us up- we’d offered Jake a lift home.

 Bryan was busy clearing up so that his mother wouldn’t freak out when she got home. She didn’t necessarily have OCD like Matt and George’s mum, but she liked everything to be perfect- she was very house proud. Therefore me and Jake were sat on the kitchen counters laughing our heads off as Bryan knelt on the ground, panicking over a mark someone’s shoe had left on an otherwise pristine white tile. I heard a car outside and my phone vibrated in my pocket, a text from my mum told me she was outside.

 We went into the lounge to grab our guitar cases before heading for the front door. We thanked Bryan and shook hands and then walked to the car. I got in the front seat and Jake got in the back.

 “Yo, Ms K, what’s with all the boxes?” Jake asked, and I turned round to see three cardboard boxes in the back of the car with him.

 “I thought you and James might like to do a trial period of living together- starting now.” she replied with a grin.

 “Seriously? Mum, you’re so awesome!” I said, and Jake beamed and high fived me.

 “I know. I try, I try…” she laughed.

 When we got to his house mum helped Jake carry the boxes inside whilst I handled the guitars and amps. They just put the boxes down in the hallway for now for me and Jake to sort out later. Mum kissed me on the cheek before she left, tears in her eyes, telling me to phone her and telling both of us we could go back to my house if we wanted. Then she left and I looked at Jake.

 “Hells yeah, bro! You and me!” he said, hugging me briefly before shoving me into the wall. He began to open the boxes and I helped him. One box had clothes in, one had most of our CD’s, and the last box had normal living supplies; including food.

 We carried the clothes and CD’s upstairs and he cleared the bottom of his wardrobe so I could put my stuff down there. Then we went back downstairs and packed away the food and that kind of stuff before collapsing onto the sofa- we hadn’t gotten much sleep at the weekend. Mum had given me some money for the week and Jake had his stash- I was too afraid to ask how he’d earned it- so we decided to order a Chinese Takeaway and split the cost. We drifted off to sleep in front of the TV and when we woke up Jake had his arms round me.

 “Dude, get the fuck off me!” I yelled, leaping up with a shiver and dusting myself down like it would remove the feeling from me. He stared at me with wide eyes and then burst out laughing.

 “Don’t worry, man, I won’t try and steal you from George.” he said, and I rolled my eyes. I walked to the stairway to go upstairs and take a shower. “I meant because I’m not gay!” he called after me.

 “Yeah, Jake, don’t worry, I got that…”

 The shower wasn’t working properly so the water just came out in either a dribble or random spurts. I washed regardless and got dressed before heading back downstairs for breakfast. It was lucky, it would seem, that my mother had packed me some food… because that was the only food in the cupboards. It would appear I had arrived just in time.

 “Hey, James, d’you think we could really go somewhere? Like, with the band, I mean.” Jake asked me as my pop tart leapt out of the toaster and I caught it on a plate.