Chapter One- Skylines and Turnstiles

Before I walked through the painted green metal fence into another day in hell, I paused to consider the situation. True, this was a new hell-hole- or a new school, as some people might say- but how different can the attitude in a new school be? I was going to be poorly treated here too. I just hoped I wouldn't get beaten as much. I was late on my first day, great new start, and no-one was around. No-one would see me if I just ran away now, if I just bunked off... but then I thought of my mother, willing me to keep my head high, telling me to make a fresh start, urging me forward and into the building. So, with a sigh, I took a step forward into the courtyard. I immediately knew I would regret this action, but for my mother I would allow myself to be beaten. For her I would do anything. She had already lost my father, years ago; I wouldn't be the one to bring her more sadness today.

 I knew I was supposed to check in at the office so I could be shown around, shown to my form room, but I already had all that crap in a booklet, so I kept my head down and turned the music on my IPod up to full volume as I headed towards the building that I vaguely recognised to be the form block. When I entered the warmth I shivered, having not realised that it was actually cold outside. In my mind I remembered being taken up to the second floor and along the corridor to locker 102. The keys were in my pocket on my trusty Velvet Revolver key-ring, so I headed upstairs and looked through my fringe at the locker numbers; 99... 100... 102.

 I took out the keys and opened the locker, putting away things that I wouldn't need until after break and making sure I had everything I needed for my first two lessons. I pushed the locker shut so it locked and then sped along to my first class. Outside in the courtyard I suddenly realised that I had no idea where the science block was... and I was already twenty minutes late for chemistry.

 My IPod in my ears blocked out the sound of someone coming up behind me, and as a light hand landed on my shoulder I jumped, pulled the headphones out and span round.

 "You seem kinda lost, dude. Are you new?" the guy asked me. He grinned at the dazed expression on my face.

 It was strangely like staring into a mirror, only the reflections was slightly altered and shorter. The guy looked up at me, the top of his head only reaching a few centimetres above my shoulder. I flipped my long fringe out of my face.

 "Uh, yeah. I'm looking for the science block? I'm late for chemistry with Mr Poole." I told him in my quiet voice. His grin widened even further, if that were possible.

 "Sweet dude, I've got chem with Mr Poole too. Follow me, new guy," he said, and he walked around me.

 He led me on a two minute walk to the block which seemed furthest away on site. We entered the block and went upstairs, stopping outside the third door.

 "We should probably go in at different times- you don't want to be seen with me on your first day..." he said, and before I could question this he continued, "...so I'll go in first. You hang around out here for a few minutes, at least until you hear him stop shouting, and then you come in, okay? Oh, and hey, what's your name?"

 "James King. You?" I replied shortly.

 "Jake Torres. And, hey..." his eyes sparkled. "...welcome to hell." And with that he shoved the door open and sauntered into the classroom.

 I could hear the teacher shouting at him for being late 'again', and this made my heart stutter a little. Was I going to get shouted at? People would look at me because I was new, but they would stare if I was shouted at straight away. It would draw so much attention to me; attention that I didn't need for a fresh start.

 I cursed the fact that the school was non-uniformed as I pushed the door open.

 "Oh? And who might you be?" the teacher asked me. He was short- even shorter than Jake- and fat, with large 80s glasses and a bored expression.