41. Betrayal

Tuffnut grabbed Eret by the shoulder and pulled him back away from Victor. When Eret saw the man's sword out ready to fight, he grabbed his own twin long daggers. "What a pity that you found out too late, my dear," Victor falsely sympathized.

"You set this all up," Iris spoke louder, squinting her eyes menacingly at Victor, "it was all you."

"Please, don't give me all of the credit," Victor responded humbly, "the devilish dervish really do hold quite the grudge over the sand wraiths." He twirled his sword and began to pace, "have you ever noticed that, no matter how many times they attacked you, they never shot a single flame?" He gave Iris a harsh look and explained further, "because their fire was stolen by the sand wraiths, generations ago. The legend of opposites is quite real, indeed. And I intend to even the playing grounds for all dragons."

"By equalizing all of the opposite species'.." Iris realized, giving him a nasty glare, "you're the reason Thorn is dead."

"I never intended to hurt Thorn," Victor admitted honestly, "but one casualty, for the greater good...I can't say I'm broken about it."

Iris lunged for the man, but was held back by Tuff grabbing hold of her right arm, "Iris, don't! He's not worth it." Eret also stepped over and held her other arm.

"Now, there's a smart boy," Victor teased, "listen to your dimwit of a husband, for once I must agree with him; I'm not worth risking your life, or your child."

Unsure if she were more angry or upset, Iris began to cry, rage dripping from her eyes. "You were never even our friend," she yelled.

"Wrong again, Iris," Victor shouted back, "I had more respect for you than anyone, which is why I kept your island secret from the devilish dervish for so long. Then you threw yourself in with the vikings, the pigs of this word."

"Why do you hate them so much?" Iris pleaded, but soon realized where this was going. "It's because of Viggo, and Ryker; you think they killed them."

"I told you before, I do not start war over past events that cannot be corrected," Victor reminded her, "vikings are cruel; unworthy of the loyalty of dragons. My father and uncle were prime examples of that."

Iris tried to rip herself from the grasps of Eret and Tuffnut, but to no avail. "And you used to believe that, too," Victor reminded Iris.

"But we were wrong," Iris retorted.

"No," Victor stated firmly, "now you're just one of them."

At this, Tuffnut made up his mind. He let go of Iris, leaving Eret to hold her in place. He drew his own sword out and pointed it threateningly at Victor. The other man grinned slyly, "I thought you said I'm not worth it?"

"That was for Iris," Tuff explained in a remarkably venomous tone, "taking you down will be worth everything for me."

Victor's grin widened, and he lunged. Iris watched in horror as the two men duelled for their lives. Thankfully, Victor wasn't accustomed to Tuff's unpredictability when it came to battle. The twin fought courageously, and in the end, when he stood with his sword to Victor's throat, he showed mercy.

With a gaze sharper that his sword, Tuffnut spoke firmly, "you will never mess with Berk again, you hear me?"

But Victor only sighed, rolling his eyes. It was the kind of reaction that someone who had everything under control would give. Iris's blood turned cold when she recalled that the devilish dervish that inhabited thus island were Victor's allies. He sent out a shrill whistle, which triggered a distant roar.

Tuff's eyes widened before he glared at Victor one last time. He then pulled his sword away and came back to Eret and Iris. "Time to go," Eret observed nervously as another riar erupted, much closer now. Rain began to drip around them as they ran off towards Eret's ship.

But Iris quickly began to fall behind. Tuff hurriedly picked her up, but ended up twisting his ankle and falling back to the ground. He managed to at least land on his back and break Iris's fall.

The young woman stood, but Tuffnut couldn't; his ankle had been badly sprained. Victor had caught up to them by now, a massive black dragon above him. It's wings flapped, blowing the trees like a hurricane. Victor made another short whistle, and the devilish dervish landed beside him. "Go, Eclipse," Victor yelled over the now pouring rain, "take your revenge, be at peace."

The dragon gurgled menacingly as it's long neck stretched out to a fear-frozen Iris. Eclipse continued to growl lowly as he eyed Iris, razor teeth just inchest from her face. But to her surprise, he did not strike. The dragon's pupils dilated as he nudged her side gently. He made a soft, purring noise and sniffed her rounded stomach.

"What..?" Victor's baffled voice came within earshot.

Then Iris realized the reality of the situation. She reached a hand out and pet the Eclipse's cheek, "this dragon does not want revenge."