38. Baby Talk

***

"As you all know now, Thorn has fallen," Iris explained after gathering the dragon warriors later that day in the great hall. Hiccup and Tuffnut where there as well, even Mora and Ariel showed up. Though Mora's eyes were still red with sadness, Ariel stood tall and strong. The young girl always had been a strong one, and she proved that now by keeping a steady mind just hours after her father's death.

"He has fallen..from the sand wraith venom," Iris explained. Everyone's eyes widened, but nothing was said; they listened intently for an explanation. But Iris didn't have one. "We're not sure why this has happened," Iris explained sorrowfully, "but from now on, the venom will not be used. For us or for the dragons..something's wrong."

"What are you saying?" Grout asked fearfully.

Iris sighed shakily. Noticing her failing strength, Tuffnut stepped up to her side and took her hand. His warmth spread through Iris and kept her going. "I'm saying, that the devilish dervish attacked us only," Iris went on, "and I don't think the failing venom is a coincidence...I think those beasts did something to our beloved sand wraiths."

Mutters broke out among the warriors. "I've sent for Victor, he's studied dragons his whole life," Iris announced, "he knows a lot more about the dervish than any of us."

The others seemed to settle down at this. Iris then dismissed everyone, asking Ariel to stay behind. "Yes, Iris?" Ariel asked as she and Iris sat at a table with Hiccup and Tuffnut.

Iris smiled down at her. "Ariel, I'm relying on you to keep Mora strong through this," Iris told her, "you're young enough, I know you have the strength to do just that."

Ariel smiled in return, "my father's strength flows in me now."

"Yes, it does," Iris choked a bit as her eyes watered slightly. She sighed and grinned, "now, go; she needs you." Ariel nodded firmly and raced out of the building.

Now, Iris let herself relax. She heaved a deep sigh and leaned her side into Tuff, who sat beside her. Placing a hand on her growing stomach, Iris looked down. "Are you feeling alright?" Hiccup asked in concern.

Iris nodded and responded, "just..hungry."

Tuffnut chuckled a bit and offered immediately, "I'll get you the biggest fish in the kitchen."

He hopped up, but before rushing off, Iris stopped him, "wait!" Ruff turned back around to give her his attention. She timidly asked, "..tuna?"

With a wide smile, Tuffnut confirmed, "of course." Then he was gone.

Hiccup laughed lightly. "He's really spoiling you," he observed with a crooked smile.

"He does more and more every day," Iris confirmed with a giggle.

Hiccup glanced at her belly for a moment and questioned, "have you thought of a name yet?"

Iris grinned, "a few."

"Well?" The chief asked eagerly, "bounce them off me."

"I like the name Everest, for a boy, but also Ignious," Iris explained, "and if it's a girl, maybe Evyn, or Ivy."

Hiccup throught for a moment before expressing, "they're all beautiful; they're very tribal names...have you talked it over with Tuff?"

"I have," Iris responded with a warm smile, "he's assured me that giving our child a tribal name is more than okay."

Just then, Tuff bursted back into the room with a heaping plate of fish. He brought it to his wife and placed it infront of her. "Your dinner, is served," he exaggerated, adding in a playful tone, "well, second dinner."

Iris gave him a punch in the chest, causing him to almost fall backwards as he tried to sit down beside her. Heat rose to his cheeks, and a grin to his lips, making Iris laugh. Hiccup gave them a somewhat uncomfortable laugh before getting up and leaving them to their business.

Iris dug into her meal hungrily; eating for two was surprisingly exhausting work. Tuffnut snuck little morsels off the plate while they talked about the plans they had for their child. It was almost all they talked about together now. The two had fallen in love with their future with a baby.

"Absolutely not!" Iris spoke with wide eyes.

"Oh, come on," Tuffnut begged, "me and Ruff used to wrestle boars all the time as kids!"

Iris sighed and smirked, "you and your sister are a rare case; you two have survived thing no other viking could even dream of."

"Exactly!" Tuff made his point, "and this baby's gonna inherit all of our luck." But when Iris kept her foot down, he frowned, "oh fine, no boar wrestling....until age nine."

"Tuffnut!" Iris laughed. He chuckled lightly as she finished her meal, then stood. Picking her up under her shoulders and knees, he began to walk home. "H-hey!" Iris objected as her face reddened, "aren't I heavy?"

"Well, heavier than usual, yeah," Tuffnut admitted, "but nothing I can't handle." He pecked her forehead lovingly and continued on. Iris accepted this with a warm grin and wrapped her arms around his neck. She burried her face into the wool of his vest and closed her eyes. It had been a long day, and she was ready for a good night's sleep.