Chapter 25 | Saddening News

My phone buzzed with what I assumed was a text, so I opened my phone. It was from Samantha. I opened it up quickly, because hey, she hadn't had texted me in ages other than for questions about when our next assignment was due.

"Can we talk? In person? Meet me in the school library after school." I raised an eyebrow in suspicion and huffed.

"Ms. Smiht. Off your phone please," the grumpy English teacher said. I rolled my eyes and put my phone into the side pocket of my bookbag. It had been three days since the fight and it was now Thursday. I never realized how much I would've missed Jeremiah, despite him only being gone for a few days. I touched the butterfly bandage on my forehead and winced slightly in pain. I took a sip of my water from my metal bottle. I continued writing notes, but I wasn't really paying attention. I blew a wisp of my hair out of my face in an attempt to entertain myself.

The bell finally rang and I was off and out of the classroom before anyone else. I was only able to meet up with Sam because I didn't have to return to track practices until the next week because of my injuries and 'trama'. I ran to the library, avoiding contact of any form with anyone. I went through the entrance and saw Jeremiah with Samantha. It looked like they were bickering about something.

Jeremiah spotted me and cleared his throat. Samantha straightened her shirt and plastered a fake smile. I ran over to them as quickly as I could. "Jeremiah! What are you doing here!? You still need to recover," I whispered harshly. I grabbed his shoulder and glared at him and all of his idiocy.

"Just sit down, guys. I need to tell you guys some news," Samantha said seriously. She grabbed our arms and directed us to sit down at one of the small, round tables in the library.

"What's up? Whatever you're about to say doesn't seem too good," Jeremiah added. Samantha grabbed ahold of both of our hands.

"Well, uhh." She sat there silently for a moment. "I'm moving. I'll still be close, but I am going to be going to another high school. Where we are going to be is districted just outside of our current school zone." Samantha slid a thick book towards me. "This is for you. I already gave one to Jeremiah." I looked inside of it and it was a picture of all three of us. We must've been in 6th grade.

I covered my hand with my mouth and then put my hand over my heart. A frown formed at the saddening news. "I love it so much." My voice cracked as I spoke and I started to get emotional at her leaves despite the recent lack of connection we had.

"No no no don't start you," Sam responded, wiping the corners of her glassy eyes. I stood up and went in for a hug with Samantha. She stood up immediately and wrapped her arms around me in return. I tightened the hug when Jeremiah's arms wrapped around both of us.

"Our little ol' trio. Now and forever, we stay together. God, that sounded so much less cheesy in my head." We both laughed at Jeremiah's stupid and adorable remarks. All three of us broke the hug. Samantha grabbed Jeremiah's jaw and plopped a big old kiss on his lips. He moved back slightly, taken by surprise I assumed.

"Erm, guys. I'm right here?" Jeremiah was the first to break their kiss. He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. Samantha bit her lip. I thought of the way Braxton kissed me aggressively and sloppily. I rubbed my arm in discomfort and sat back down to look through the scrapbook.

"Are you alright Adi?" Jeremiah asked, sitting down beside me and holding my hands. Samantha wrapped her arm around my shoulders in support. I looked up and smiled at them both with a fake smile.

"Everything is great. I mean, other than you moving away," I responded, trying to sound as truthful and happy as possible. I smiled a small, side smile for a vague moment and then looked down into the book again.