Chapter 10 | Cross Country Meet

I walked out of the classroom to go to the locker room. Once I got to the locker room, I took my uniform out and changed into it, leaving my stuff in my gym locker. Afterwards, I walked to where the girls meet up before the meets.

"Okay my girls, let's start stretching at 2:15, the other team will be here around 3 o'clock." Coach Anderson spoke.

I checked my watch to see that it was 2:09 pm. The time finally passed and we started by doing 2 warm up laps around the track with the whole boys and girls team. Shortly after that, the girls started stretching. The other team arrived and warmed up and stretched. I could begin to feel the nervous butterflies in my stomach. The race started in five minutes. We put our hands in the middle and chanted our catchphrase and raised our hands up. We walked over to the start, being placed in between the other team. I was surrounded by the other team.

I looked around at the other runners, I wished them good luck.

Some of the other runners, the other team included wished good luck back to me.

"Okay everyone, we will be beginning. Tie your shoelaces and tuck in your jerseys..... Everyone ready?? Okay then. Ladies... on your mark... get set... goooo..."

The coach shot the gun up into the air, making me flinch before I start. I ran off, Samantha following behind me. My only focus was my steady breathing and what is in front of me. I looked around, noticing that I am in the top five girls, I smiled and extended my stride.

Once I was half way through the first mile, I steadied my pace and started panting. I wiped my forehead of the sweat I had produced. I ran, and ran and before I knew it, I was on mile two.
"Okay, you're 2/3s of the way, you got this."
I always talk to myself during meets, I motivate myself. I almost passed another girl, as I passed I said your doing great and I ran ahead. Almost there. Time passed and I ran without stopping. When I was nearing the end, the other teams top runner pushed me causing me to fall and scrape my knee. She looked at me with a smile and sped up.

"Crap." I muttered silently.

I got back up, shook it off and looked down at my knee. It was bleeding and it had had three or four scrapes. I was almost there, now in forth place. My knee felt like it was burning up and it was in excruciating pain. I began sprinting, the crowd cheering. My Mom and my brother Cameron were both cheering, smiling like it was Christmas morning. I looked to the crowd to see Jeremiah jumping up and cheering me on. He had a happy look on his face and he was waving his phone. I sped up, all noises going away; I felt as if I was flying. Finally I crossed the finish line, tripping and crashing into the ground again. Jeremiah ran over and helped me up and gave me a giant bear hug; I couldn't help but to crash into his chest, smiling and all.

"You did so well. Are you alright?"
"Yeah, I'll be okay Jeremiah. You should start stretching with the other guys."
"Okay, I'm just glad to see you okay."
"Hurry Up!!" I patted his chest and he walked away.

Once our conversation was over I limped over to my mother and brother.
"Good job baby, we need to get you cleaned up."
"But Moooom, I need to cheer on my team."
"I'll ask one of the coaches for a first aid kit to clean you up. I'll be back, you sit tight."
Cameron leaped into my arms and congratulated me.
"And what are you doing out of school?"
"Mom picked me up to see you."
"That was very thoughtful of Mom, let's cheer on the team."
"Okay."

I cheered for our team as they were crossing the finish line. Afterwards, I noticed a familiar face.

"GOOO SAMANTHA!! WOOOHOOO!!"
Samantha started to sprint strongly with tiredness wiping her face.

"YOU CAN DO IT!!! YOU'RE ALMOST THERE!!!"

And she crossed the finish line getting in fourteenth place. I ran over to her to give her a hug and she saw my knee.