XV. - Secrets and Lies

Gadleigh CastleMatthias

Gadleigh Castle
Matthias

Matthias woke early the next morning with a plan already forming in his head. Today he was going to get some answers, no matter what it took, he was going to find out what was going on. 

Matthias climbed out of bed, pulled his breeches on and threw a tunic over his head. He went over to his washing dish and splashed some water on his face, then he ran some through his chestnut hair and combed it into place.

After drying off his face, Matthias decided that first on his list of interrogations would be his mother. She would probably be the most difficult to get answers from and he thought that her responses might guide his questions for the rest of the people in the castle. 

Matthias headed through the castle until he reached his parents' chambers. He rapped on the door and patiently waited until his mother's handmaiden peeked through.

"Oh, Prince Matthias," the petite, blonde woman squeaked, opening the door wider. 

"Thank you, Anya," Matthias nodded as he stepped into the room. "Would you please leave my mother and I to speak in private?"

The young girl nodded and slipped out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Good morning Mother," Matthias said, walking towards his father's desk where Queen Loretta was seated reading a paper. 

"What is it Matthias?" Queen Loretta glanced up at her son.

"I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions?"

"Sure, but make it quick, I'm busy," Queen Loretta leaned back in her chair, giving Matthias her full attention.

Matthias clasped his hands behind his back, standing at attention to prevent himself from fidgeting. "How long ago did Father arrange for Liz to marry Prince Gregory?"

"You know that as well as I do," Queen Loretta raised her auburn eyebrows, her blue eyes widening in confusion. "About six months ago, right before he informed you and Liz about it."

"Are you sure about that?" Matthias tried to keep the doubt out of his voice. 

"Of course Matthias," his mother sighed.