VI. - Pirates

LuxtonElizabeth

Luxton
Elizabeth

Elizabeth took a sharp inhale of breath while staring at Tom with wide eyes. She knew she probably wasn't a great liar, but could he really see through her so easily? Liz had barely told him anything down at the bar, and what she had told him had been honest, for the most part. Was it really so easy to see that she was holding things back?

Elizabeth thought back over her nervous behavior; she'd been jumpy, gave quick, panicked responses to most questions that had been asked of her, and didn't offer up any more details than were necessary. So yes, yes it probably was pretty easy to tell she wasn't being honest. She would have to work on her ability to lie if she were going to survive on her own.

Liz swallowed before responding to Tom. "Will this stay between you and me?" She asked.

Tom thought for a moment, studying her, "As a barkeep, keepin' people's secrets is a large portion of what I do."

Elizabeth eyed the older man. The answer was indirect, but she felt as though she could trust him. "Thank you," she let out a sigh before continuing, "All I'm going to tell you for now is, I left a bad home life last night. I don't have any belongings because I had to leave quickly, they don't know where I am, yet. I'm still fairly close to where they live and I'm afraid they will find me, but I need money for food and a place to stay for a little while, so I can earn that money."

Elizabeth held her breath, waiting for Tom to reply. When he just continued studying her, she continued in a shaky voice, "They can't know that I am here."

After another moment, Tom finally answered, "They won't find out. I understand your situation, you can stay here an' work in the tavern."

Surprised, Elizabeth looked up into his eyes. They softened a little bit as they stared back at her, and she knew that Tom meant what he said. He would keep her secret, she could trust him.

"Liz Mahoney your real name?"

"Liz is my given name, Mahoney is not my real family name," Liz rubbed at her temple, worrying about having given out her real name that night.