XIV. - I Know Who You Are

Out at seaDex

Out at sea
Dex

Captain Bradshaw sat at his desk in his quarters, he'd been there for over an hour, trying to plot the course of his ship. He was having trouble remaining focused. Dex was going a little stir crazy, and he was struggling to keep his mind off of a certain princess.

It'd been several days since the landing in Luxton and Dex was fairly sure he'd left his brain there. He didn't understand it, he hadn't paid any attention to a woman since...

But that was ages ago. Dex had long since realized the fact that he was destined to be alone, and he had accepted it, in fact, he welcomed it. He didn't have any love left in his heart to give. No, it was best that he was alone; best for him, best for his men, and best for the women.

So then why was he thinking about Princess Elizabeth?

Dex scrubbed a hand across his face, scrunching his eyes. Clasping his fingers behind the back of his head, he leaned back in his chair and stared up at the underside of the wooden deck above him.

It was because she reminded him of her. Yes, that was it...seeing the princess was like seeing a ghost. Realizing that the girl he was protecting was the Princess of Nithalandia had been like having an ice cold bucket of water dumped on his head, or like being punched in the gut.

Nodding to himself, glad to have sorted that out, Dex let the front legs of his chair drop to the floor with a soft thud. He got up and walked to the porthole, looking out at the ocean stretching as far as the eye could see.

There was a knock on his door.

"Who is it?"

"Randi," a gruff voice traveled through the door.

"Come in."

Dex turned and studied the pirate. Dex had always been amused by his dreadlocks. They were an interesting hairstyle for sure, but it seemed like they were easy to care for and they certainly suited Randi.

"What's going on?" Dex asked him.

"There's a Nithalandian ship sailing near us!" Excitement danced in Randi's eyes and Dex chuckled. "Shall we attack?" Randi almost begged.