XVII. - Eloped

The Kingdom of Crugavia - June 1133 (5 years ago)Nathanial

(5 years ago)
Nathanial

Prince Nathanial was fuming. He stood in the stone hallway outside the double doors to the great hall, his arms folded across his chest. Why couldn't his parents be more understanding? Why did they refuse to allow him and Elena to be happy together? He loved her, and she loved him. Why wasn't that enough?

He couldn't be more frustrated with the society he lived in than he was in that moment. What did a person's birth status matter in the grand scheme of things? Why couldn't Elena be judged for the person that she was rather than the wealth her father held?

Nathan balled his hand into a fist and looked for something to punch. Realizing that the stone walls or stone pillars would only break his hand, he thought better of the idea and allowed his hand to fall limply to his side. 

The prince couldn't imagine his life without the young, fisherman's daughter that he had met down at the docks just eight months ago. He also knew, that while he was to be married off to Princess Elizabeth in four years, Elena's father was currently searching for a suitor for her. If he couldn't convince his parents to allow him to pursue Elena, then she would no doubt be married off to someone 'more her station' very soon.

But he hadn't been able to convince his parents. They refused to listen to his case. They believed that when he married Princess Elizabeth he would suddenly forget Elena, as though they had never met.

It was complete and utter rubbish. There was no way he could ever forget about her. They were destined to be together, they were soulmates. 

Nathan could think of no other way for them to be together, they had to elope. It was the only way, otherwise Elena would be married off to some other man and that would be the end of it. He didn't think he could survive if he lost her.

With a plan in mind, Nathan strode off across the castle, in the direction of the treasury. If he and Elena were going to build a life together, they would need some gold to get them started. 

"Good afternoon Jeoffrey, Father has sent me to retrieve some funds for something he's working on," the guard, Jeoffrey, bowed and stepped to the side of the treasury door, allowing Nathan to enter.