VII. - Attempted Murder

LuxtonElizabeth

Luxton
Elizabeth

Elizabeth stared at Prince Gregory in panic, his attention captured by the rowdy pirates.

"Miss?"

The sound of Captain Bradshaw's deep voice snapped Elizabeth back to reality. With one last glance at Gregory, she took off running to the back of the tavern and into the kitchen where she and Tom had eaten breakfast that morning.

Heart hammering, she knelt behind the wooden table in the room. Her palms became clammy as she broke out in a cold sweat. Shudders ran through Liz as she pulled in shallow, rapid breaths. How had he found her so quickly? She'd barely been here a day. She had hoped they wouldn't expect her to stop so soon.

The terror that was coursing through her body prevented Elizabeth from thinking clearly. She needed to come up with a plan, she needed to get out of here somehow, but how?

Liz glanced around the kitchen, looking for some sort of weapon she could use if she needed to defend herself. There was a knife on the wooden counter next to the water basin. Slowly, she edged out from behind the table, and grabbed the hilt of the knife before ducking back behind the table.

The sound of footsteps making their way across the wooden floorboards reached her ears and Liz squeezed her eyes shut. The footsteps grew louder and she could tell when they entered the room. Holding her breath, Liz froze, hoping Gregory wouldn't notice her hiding behind the table. She shifted the knife in her hands, preparing to drive it into his chest if he got any closer.

When the footsteps stopped right in front of her, it felt as though her heart completely stopped beating. She snapped her eyes open and drew her arm back as she sprung to her feet. She thrust her knife forward, directing it at the chest of the man who stood in front of her.

Liz watched as the knife plunged down, but before the tip pierced his skin, a strong, forceful hand caught her by the forearm.

Dismayed and feeling powerless, Elizabeth glanced up at the face of the man she had tried to kill. Ice blue eyes stared back at her under the shadow of his messy black hair.