XIII. - The Good of the Kingdom

Gadleigh CastleMatthias

Gadleigh Castle
Matthias

Matthias stood, with bated breath, as he listened to the footsteps coming down the hallway. By the sound of the steps, it was too late for him to duck out of the room. He crept over to the far side of the bed and ducked down behind it, out of sight.

The footsteps became louder, until they were right outside the door to his father's chambers. With his heart thudding in his ears, Matthias let out a rush of air as he heard the footsteps continue walking down the hallway.

Once he could no longer hear any footsteps, Matthias stood up from behind the bed. He walked to the door and eased it open, peeking his head out to glance down either side of the hallway.

Upon seeing no one, Matthias stepped out of the room and carefully closed the door behind him. Then, he strode off down the hallway, following the direction he had heard the footsteps retreating in.

As he neared the end of the hallway, he heard voices coming from behind the last door. The door led to one of the chambers that was reserved for guests of the castle. Matthias slowly approached the door and stopped, silently breathing in and out as he listened to King Richfield's voice.

King Richfield

King Richfield ran his hand through his hair, messing up the style it had been carefully arranged in, "What are we going to do Harriet?"

"We can't let them get away with this Claus," Queen Richfield narrowed her eyes at her husband, her arms crossed. "We must show the world what happens when they mess with Crugavia!"

King Richfield looked around the room before he replied. Johnathan was slumped on the large bed which had a sage green quilt covering it. A red oak wardrobe, matching the wood of the bed, stood against one wall. There was a bench beneath the open window on the other side of the room. It was simple, but a room fit for hosting a family of their status.

Sighing, King Richfield turned his attention back to his wife, "War will not get us our son back."

Johnathan stood up from the bed, suddenly agitated, "No, but it will hopefully help prevent something like this from happening again. I agree with Mother, use these levereters as an example!"