7 • The Free-ish Heir

T h e F r e e - i s h H e i r
2 n d P O V
3 / 3 1 / 1 9
• • •

When Optimus came looking for you the next morning, he found you shaking. Your vents were ragged, optics far off. He hurried over, putting a barrel of oil on Ratchet's computer desk adjacent to your berth.

"Y/N! Y/N, are you okay? What's wrong?" Optimus asked frantically. He kept his voice and actions quiet. He slowly crawled onto your berth and sat in front of you, arms out to grab your shoulder. They didn't though. He was hesitant to touch you because you might flinch away again.

"I . . . I-I-no, no no no." You shook your head. You stared into the berth under you.

"Y/N, can I touch you?" The mech inquired softly. The tone of voice you found soothing. You nodded and leaned into his hold. One of his warm servos clutched your shoulder, the other lightly massaging the area between your neck and shoulder. Your breathing slowed, gradually becoming less ragged the longer you stayed like that.

The corners of Optimus' intake twitched upwards into a small smile. Your trust in him was a good sign. He wished it could be the same for the rest of the team, but they would take much more work. Some more than others. Optimus hoped they could give you the comfort and space necessary for you to fully trust them and feel comfortable living alongside them.

"What's wrong, Y/N?" The Prime asked. You closed your optics for a few seconds, venting deeply. You shook your helm afterwards.

"I don't want to talk about it," you muttered, shaking your helm and leaning back. You wrapped your arms around your legs and pulled your knees to your chassis. Your wings hugged your shoulders for extra comfort. "Not right now."

"Okay," The mech replied. "Remember, I'm here if you need me. I don't want you to feel alone."

Optimus had had his doubts about keeping you in base, especially without restraints, but they had practically been swept away. He had already begun working on a plan to introduce you to the crew's everyday life. It would take quite some time, that was obvious when looking at your current state. But, fortunately, Optimus Prime was a patient spark.

"Mm-hm." You burrowed your helm into your knees. Optimus sighed sympathetically.

"Drink some energon. Maybe it'll help you feel better. Ratchet will be coming in soon to run some diagnostics. You'll have to stay in here for a few more days, so if you need anything, just come find me," Optimus told you. He listed off a string of numbers and letters. "See you later, Y/N." He made his way to the door. It slid open before him. The Prime spared you one last look before it slid behind him. You looked up just before the door closed. You let your chin rest on your knees and squirreled away the comm link.

You glanced over at the silver-grey barrel on the computer desk. You slowly set yourself on your front and closed your optics and heaved a sigh. You'd drink it later.

• • •

Day 2 of living in the Medbay went by rather quickly, as you spent most of it in recharge.

Ratchet's checkups went by swiftly. The key Sari wielded has worked magic. There wasn't much to do, but the medic had insisted. He removed the bandages from your angel-style wings. You had brightened up after getting to move them around without feeling pain.