Chapter 15

“Are you sure you wanna do this?” Karina asked.

Riko gulped and nodded. They were standing on top of the highest hill. Karina had made a sled out of ice and was already waiting for here to join her on it. Riko nervously sat behind her and the girl pulled the water reins up. “Ready?”

It wasn’t that Riko was scared or nervous. She had been sledding plenty in her life. It was more of the fact that she was going to be so close to the other girl.

She nodded and they took off down the hill. Riko unconsciously grabbed onto the girl as they screamed. They hit a bump and floated in the air for a second. Riko’s grip tightened when they abruptly landed back on the ground.

Karina glanced back and smirked. It was an unintentional effect, but she was glad that the earthbender was holding onto her.

They slowly skidded to a halt as the sled reached the bottom of the hill. Riko trembled slightly. Karina looked at her in worry. “Hey, you okay?”

“…That. Was. Awesome! Let’s go again!” Riko cheered.

Karina smiled and they raced back to the top of the mountain.

“Korra and I are going out for dinner, so you three be good for your grandparents or else.” Asami said to her children who were lined up on the wall. This was the only way to get all of their attention at once. Nami nodded with a smile. Kohaku saluted mockingly. Riko averted her eyes.

“Riko?” Asami said. She patted her head and turned her to look in her direction. “You okay?”

“Yeah, you don’t need to worry about me. You and Korra have fun.” Riko said, trying to pry herself from her mom’s hand.

“If something’s wrong we don’t have to go, Riko.”

“No! Don’t do that for me. You two need your own time.” Riko said.

Asami stared at her for a minute before sighing. “Alright. We’ll be back before long.” Then she went and followed Korra outside.

Riko skipped dinner, even though Senna had brought up a plate to her room. Her depression was getting the better of her again. She felt herself start growling and clamped her hands over her mouth. ‘This is not happening again!’ Silent tears fell from her eyes.

She looked out of the window. The sun was just starting to set, turning the sky a deep purple shade. After a minute of thinking, she decided to sneak out to take a walk, and maybe freeze to death while she was at it. She jumped off of the windowsill and landed softly in the snow. She threw her hood up and began her trek to the hills.

Karina saw a shadowy figure sitting atop the hill and cautiously made her way towards it. Night had long since set in place. No one in their right mind would sit out here longer than they needed to. She shuffled the bag on her back and shook off her hood. The person glanced at her as she approached. Suddenly the wind blew hard, blowing the hood off of the other person’s head. Karina gasped. “Riko?! What’re you doing out here so late?! You’re gonna freeze!”