Chapter 9

Men were back at the house again, decorating a new room. Riko had peeked in and saw ocean blue walls. She pouted at the thought of a new sibling. She saw Asami walking towards her and glared at her.

“What’s that look for?” The heiress asked, nonchalantly.

“You’re not even telling us what’s going on.” Riko stated.

“We’re easing you into it.”

“I’m almost 17. Kohaku’s 13. I think we’ll be just fine. Not that we haven’t already figured out what’s going on.”

“You were supposed to figure it out, sweetie. That’s the whole point of not hiding the room and the men working in it.” Asami replied, ruffling the girl’s hair.

Riko found Kohaku in his room. She quickly shut the door so that none of the smoke would escape. The boy smirked at her.

“Hehe, so you decided to return to the dark side, huh?” He asked.

“Shut up and pass it over.” She sat down on his bed with him. He passed his joint over to her and she inhaled deeply.

“Now I’m sure you both know by now, but we’re adopting another child.” Asami said. They were holding a family meeting in the living room downstairs.

Riko crossed her arms. “That was pretty obvious.”

“When?” Kohaku asked.

Asami sighed. “We’re taking in a little 8-year-old girl. She’s moving in tomorrow.”

The two kids groaned.

“Why are you two so against it?” Korra asked.

“We’re not. We just don’t think you’re ready for another kid. You can barely handle us!” Riko replied.

“That’s just because you two are in your teens. The teenage years are usually the hardest.” Korra said.

“Tell me about it.” Kohaku grumbled.

“Well, you two should be excited because she’s a waterbender.” Korra said.

The two kids stared at her for a minute, then Riko smirked. “Ohhhhh, I see what this is about. You want a child that can bend water!”

“W-what?! No, t-that’s not it!” Korra exclaimed. Asami sneered at her. “Maybe just a little.” Korra whispered.

“That’s my spot.” Riko mumbled as Korra walked in with a tan girl on her back. Asami smacked her on the back of the head. “Ow!”