damsel in distress

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀yeoreum knew she had one last resort and if she didn't want to waste the opportunity, she would have to act quickly. scanning the ground and the tents, she looked closely for a familiar face that would save her from embarrassing herself in front of the entire school.

park jimin.

he was participating in the group relay, with the passing of the baton. he was warming up near the track, focused on stretching. with a red headband and a matching tracksuit to represent the senior class, he was easy to track down. his dark locks were more curly than usual; perhaps he had groomed himself up for the special day.

"jimin," she practiced, muttering quietly so no one could hear her. "please help me. please, please." the school had allowed volunteers to fill in the spots of those who didn't want to participate. yeoreum had just enough hope within her, expecting that jimin would do the event on her behalf.

yeoreum had strolled closer to his direction but could not bring herself to approach him.

he was talking to his other friends, eyes crinkling as he smiled after the taller latter had said something. yeoreum just couldn't do anything. the weightlifting event would just be coming up right after the relay.

after the four teams had gotten into their position and the announcer made sure the rules were understood, the sound of the firing of a gun signaled the start of the race. jimin was second to run, after the first individual had passed the baton to him. he ran with all his might, hands close to his sides. yeoreum noted that his small legs sprinting looked funny, but boy, was he fast. she cheered for him, blocked out by the loud screams of the others.

the assistants had approached her when the race was nearly over, telling her that she would have to begin to prepare for her turn. yeoreum's expression dropped. she realized that during all the time she had spent thinking and worrying, she hadn't been able to get anyone to help her.

the weightlifting event wasn't too far away from the track. in fact, some people had already decided to make their way on over after signs of the seniors winning the relay had been evident.

"good luck, junior." yeoreum turned to the direction of the voice, seeing a lot younger, smaller girl beam at her, wearing a green uniform. yeoreum was scared out of her mind.

"welcome, to our newest event of this year's school festival!" headmistress kim announced. the crowd erupted in cheers and shouts.

"four different students will compete to see who can lift the heaviest sack of rice. as you can see right in front of you, there are three bags varying from lightest to heaviest. good luck, everyone!"

she whistled, and the freshman, as well as the sophomore, started. the senior that had greeted yeoreum had already lifted up the first sack, carrying it over her head, as the crowd to ten seconds to verify that she had completed lifting it up.

yeoreum twisted her fingers together, sweat running down her temples, her lips quivering. she could see that the senior section had begun to seem frustrated with her, even though they had voted for her onto the event.

"what are you doing?" one boy shouted. his friends complained with him in the back.

"hey, scarface! give those frail arms some use!" another girl yelled.

the others were already on their second bag.

a voice said, "excuse me" behind her. yeoreum whipped her head around.

the face she saw almost made her faint. it was jeongguk. just tired and sweaty from finishing the relay, he reached for the lightest bag set in front. as soon as he came into view, the crowd immediately roared: even from the other sections, as well.

the event seemed to be a breeze for jeongguk, even on his last bag, he didn't seem to be troubled.

"jeon jeongguk! jeon jeongguk! jeon jeongguk!" they all chanted.

although the junior had won for her team, yeoreum felt a sense of relief—almost as if the victory had been hers.

after he was finished, he looked at her intently in her eyes and smiled.

"t-thank you," she barely whispered.

"don't mention it," he said, before stepping off the podium.

and with the crowd leaving to watch the next event, yeoreum was the only one still left. song yeoreum laughed to herself, cheeks reddening.

little did she know a familiar face from behind the concession stands had stayed after with her, watching the whole scene evolve.