Chapter 6 - Deception

Jake was awoken by Versai's yell. He leapt out of bed, running for the sitting room. He stopped however, when he saw that nothing was wrong. Maia was standing in the doorway.

"I thought I heard-" began Jake. Then he heard the yell again. Versai was excited over the food Maia had brought for them.

"I see," said Jake, looking at Versai. "You're hungry."

"Greetings, Jake," said Maia, bowing. "Did you sleep well?"

"Not really," he replied, sitting down on the couch. "I kept thinking over what happened last night."

"Yes," said Maia. "To have such a thing happen on your first night here is very unfortunate. And to learn that Darius was betraying us by using that painting as a means of communication between them was unexpected as well. We thought that any traitors would be easier to find."

"And I was thinking about what Yerga said."

"You do not believe it, do you?"

"I don't know what to believe."

"Listen to me, Jake," said Maia. "This is exactly what Yerga is hoping for. He is trying to spread confusion and trying to make us not trust each other. Trust is exactly what we need right now! Without it, we will all fall prey to Yerga and Revek will plunge into true chaos!"

"Perhaps," replied Jake. "But perhaps Yerga isn't the true evil here."

"What?" said Maia, taken aback. "Then who is?"

"I don't know," said Jake. "But Ragnarok told me he could sense another evil; one even greater than Yerga."

"Strange," said Maia. "I was not told of this."

"Ragnarok hasn't told anyone else," Jake said. "Just me."

There was silence for a time. The only sound came from Versai eating all the food Maia had brought into the room.

"Tell me Maia," Jake said. "Won't Yerga know of the location of the Alliance now? Surely Darius would have told him."

"It is impossible," answered Maia. "There are many protective spells cast on the Alliance. One of them allows no one who has ever entered the Alliance to tell others of its presence. They cannot show it or tell of it to anyone else."

"A clever spell."

"Indeed. Also, I brought you something else," said Maia, taking a bag she had clipped on her belt. "It's your equipment."

"Equipment?" said Jake as she emptied the bag on the table. Three objects rolled out. The first was a small object that looked like a pebble, except that it was blue. The second object was a small piece of wood with the Alliance's insignia stamped on it. The third object was a small golden key.

"What are these?" said Jake, picking up the key and inspecting it.

"That is the key to your storeroom," said Maia, taking the key.

"My storeroom?" repeated Jake blankly, turning to stare at her. "I have a storeroom?"

"Yes," said Maia. "We will go down there shortly, but not yet."

"What about this?" asked Jake, picking up the piece of wood.

"This is your Alliance Pass," said Maia. "If you carry this around, you will be able to enter or exit the Alliance. If I did not have mine with me when we came here, we wouldn't have been allowed to enter. Just place your hand on the tombstone in the graveyard and you will be allowed entry."