Chapter 5

Its Monday morning and Zayn finds himself wandering the halls, skipping pre-calc.

He hadn't watched Niall all Sunday. It killed him most of the day, he didn't have anything to really do. He had called Harry who came over and played footie with him in his backyard. Thankfully, Niall didn't come out for a smoke or anything. He felt like he was succeeding at ignoring Niall but now he couldn't. They're back at school and that's why Zayn is skipping pre-calc for the rest of the year so he doesn't face him. He just can't do it.

"Zayn Malik?" Mr. Griswald says, taking attendance.

Niall's head snaps up. He saw Zayn earlier on his way to class but now he's MIA (lol Zayn's always MIA). He was kinda...worried. Wait, why? Why should Niall care about Zayn? He doesn't even know him. In all honesty, he seems like a weirdo. Always stuttering and his eyes are laced with nervousness.

But then Niall thinks of how Zayn's always laughing and talking at lunch with his friends. The way Zayn's eyes crinkle or when his tongue pushes through his teeth when he's laughing. It kinda makes Niall warm inside. And it also kinda makes him mad because he doesn't make Zayn smile like that. Wait, what?

He shouldn't be thinking like that. Zayn's just his creepy neighbor. There were kids absent last week and Niall didn't care. Why did he care now? And about Zayn? Ugh.

"Mr. Griswald, I saw Zayn in he halls earlier. Is it okay if I look for him?" Niall chirps.

Mr. Griswald nods, "Yes. But if you don't find him in five minutes, come back. I'll call the office."

Niall nods and walks-okay sprints out the door. He doesn't know why he's caring so much about Zayn since he hardly knows him but he finds himself running down the halls and frantically searching for the Bradford boy.

After about two minutes of searching, Niall goes out to the field. There he sees Zayn sprawled out on the grass with his eyes shut.

Niall kinda dies inside. Zayn just looks so...good laying down like that. The sun's shining on his smooth and tan face and his chest is rising and falling slowly. His eyes shut and he looks so peaceful. Before Niall can continue thinking these weird and innapropriate thoughts, he clears his throat.

Zayn's eyes snap open and Niall's breath hitches. Zayn's eyes aren't the usual light brown. They're golden and so...beautiful. Niall literally wants to take Zayn's eyes out of his sockets and steal them. Weird. But if you were seeing what he was, you'd want too also.

"W-what are you doing here?" Zayn asked, sitting up.

"I...I just didn't see you in pre-calc and Mr. Griswald said I could come look for you" Niall mumbles, rocking back on the balls of feet and staring at them.

"Why do you care?" Zayn snaps.

Niall's heart clenches at his tone. "Sorry for being worried! Fuck it, I'm going back to class."

"Wait!" Zayn yells, causing Niall to turn back with a hard look on his face. I-I'm sorry...I...I'm sorry."

Niall sighs, "Its okay...come back to class now?"

Zayn stares at Niall. Niall is standing there biting his perfect lips with his eyebrows raised. He looks...genuine and gorgeous. Zayn then remembers why he didn't go to class in the first place. He was trying to avoid Niall and now he's standing in front of him.

"No...I just wanna lay. Pre-calc isn't my strongest subject. That's why I'm skipping."

Niall looks back at the building before Zayn again. "Um...d-do you wanna ditch?"

Zayn's heart leaps out of his chest but he composes himself. "I-I already kinda am."

Niall chuckles nervously, "No, I mean do you wanna ditch and go get something to eat...with me?"