11

A/n; I would love to say that I haven't been keeping up with my daily updating schedule because I was hard at work with a groundbreaking next chapter, but that simply isn't true. It's not fully a lie because I have been struggling over this chapter. To put it into words, I've dug myself into a hole with the decision to have five never have disappeared in this story. Nevertheless, I stay ever persistent, And although the plot may not be good and extremely stereotypical, I am determined to finish. Therefore without further adieu, chapter 11

×

Nyela started at herself in the mirror, her life felt so completely empty. Even though the academy was like her home. She never truly had a family. Nobody was there to cheer extra loud at her recitals, Nobody was there to embarrass her in front of her first date, although it wasn't as if she had even had a first date anyway. She had an older brother, but she still remembered so vividly what happened to him.
×
A 13-year-old Nyela sat on her sofa, watching television. She flipped through the channels in boredom however a heart-stopping headline on the news channel caught her eye.
Multiple police officers killed in a mass shooting
Immediately she ran to the home phone, dialing her brother's number with shaking hands. It went straight to voice mail as she sulked back to the couch.
She listened intently as they listed off the casualties, she signed in relief as the name she prayed for didn't appear.
She ran to her mother's office prepared to tell the woman what had happened only to be met with a dismissive hand wave which she knew meant "not now nyela"
She went back to the couch in defeat as she continued watching the news
"The officers with injuries are being held at the local hospital", the newswoman said.
Nyela looked at the office door one last time before bolting outside.
She hopped onto her shooter and set off towards the hospital, going as fast as her legs could take her.
" I'm here to see Niles Jones", she shouted, slamming her hand down on the front desk.
"Is there an adult with you young lady", the nurse sighed, peering up at nyela through thick-rimmed glasses.
Nyela shook her head but continued, 'I just need to know that he's ok", she pleaded.
The nurse looked at her for a moment before mumbling," room 438".
With that nyela was odd, running until she reached the room, skidding to a stop.
She slowly pushed the door open to see a doctor standing by her sibling, holding a clipboard.
"Are you family", the doctor asked.
Nyela nodded, stepping closer to the hospital bed.
Her brother lay there, pale. With closed eyes.
The doctor sighed looking at the small girl in pity " he might not make it", she whispered, putting a comforting hand on Nyalas shoulder.
Nyela grew angry at her words," a couple of bullet wounds can't be fixed", she said exasperatedly.
"He was shot directly in his chest, along with his stomach and legs. He had already lost so must blood when he got here, at this point he's on life support", the doctor explained.
Nyela kneeled down beside the bed and gripped his hands.
His soft breaths were the only sound in the white room. The doctor looked at her as she nodded.
Almost in a flash, she pulled the plug. The heart monitor went flat, and his breathing slowed down to a stop.

×

Nyela splashed some water in her face, her eyes now red from crying. Her life felt void of meaning. Did she really enjoy directing, or was it just something she started doing to fill up those extra hours when she couldn't be at the Academy? Anything to avoid the crippling silence of her own home.