track 30 : living in the moment

WHEN SHE KILLED THE ENGINE, A DEEP SILENCE SAT BETWEEN US

I could comprehend the reason beneath this silence. We were awakened from a dream, a pleasant dream, and snatched back to the reality of our lives. I was going back to my home, to my family, and to my room—which was no longer shared with Abby and she was going back to her father and Susan. I assumed that was the part that killed her inside. I was so used to being with her, and only her, that if she offered to run away again, I would without a question. Well, I'd do anything she asked me in a heartbeat. The control she had over me was scaring me, and she didn't even know that.

On top of my thoughts, there was this: We were home.

The trip was already a memory craved in our minds, something that ended. After spending every single day by Abby's side, it was going to be hard to adjust to my routine. I could still tolerate it since she was living next door but after three days, she would be gone for good. I didn't know what to do, then. I was lost.

I glanced at my house, the lights still on, and everything as I left. It was like the time stopped here, but for me, it flew, so I wasn't the same person I once was anymore. My mother was probably staying up since she knew we would arrive soon. I let out a sigh, leaning slightly back with my eyes shut to make the most of this prolonged silence. She suddenly held my hand and caused my eyes to open up.

"You should go," she murmured smilingly. I could see the bitterness clouding her expression even if she tried to hide it behind a faint smile. I unbuckled her belt and embraced her in my arms as tightly as I could. When I buried my face into the crook of her neck, she sighed, brushing her cheek against the top of my head.

"Come with me," I whispered.

When she retreated to look into my eyes, I saw a hint of uncertainty. I could tell she wasn't ready to go back home for her own reasons, but she probably hesitated to come over because it was midnight. I didn't want to jeopardize her time with her family, I mean, though she didn't support her father's relationship with Susan, I wanted her to give them a chance because they were obviously happy together. But I was selfish, and she was leaving soon so I wanted to spend every single moment left with her if she would.

"Your parents would be like what the fuck."

"They love you," I insisted.

"It's past midnight, George—not an appropriate time for a guest."

Although a part of me was keen to find a way to convince her, I knew I had to let her face her own reality. Her father had missed her, no matter what she thought, and she needed to catch up with them before she left for good. When the realization dawned on me, I let out a sigh and said, "Okay. Text me before you sleep."

When she nodded at me with a look, I didn't know if she looked relieved that I'd let go or she was surprised. Either way, in the wake, her sigh filled the void before she pushed the door open and walked out. I didn't move as I watched her walk into her lawn with soft steps and waved when she turned around to cast me one last glance. Then, she hopped on the porch, rang the doorbell, and waited. Consequently, I waited, too. Susan emerged from the door later, and she immediately hugged Abby. I couldn't see their faces very well—especially Abby's since her back was facing me—but I hoped she was feeling better.