track 14 : new era

🎵 - Listen to the song above! 💜

That decision, which should have been the decision I made long ago, was that I had to tell Abby my feelings

I had to pour my heart down to her and if she didn't share my feelings, I could acknowledge their relationship and wear that friendly smile around them. But first, I had to make sure what we had for a couple of days had been my illusion.  

I took my time in the pool, swimming back and forth not contemplating my decision. If I tired myself enough, I may have slept during the trip so that when I woke up, this would be over. And I wouldn't have to think things over. I finally felt the courage to confess to her. It was late but worth a shot. 

By the time I was out of the pool, it was already past eight. We were supposed to hit a live-music club tonight around ten so I only had time to sleep one hour after the shower. When I returned to our room,  Roy was nowhere to be seen. Considering how he was when I left him, he was probably out alone, so I just went to the bathroom to take a quick shower. In the shower, I thought about the reason why things went down. 

Why did Abby invite him over? Was it to keep me away or did she really like Roy? Was it a coincidence she had figured it out on the same night we shared our first kiss? 

There were so many questions to pose but no coherent answers in return. 

After I went back to the room, I zipped down my bag and looked for something to wear.

While I finally decided on a gray t-shirt with ripped jeans, I spotted Abby's mixtape at the bottom of the bag. Taking it, I thought of my initial plans when we started this trip and where life took us recently. I was going to confess to her today—the mid of our trip. Nothing went according to the plan. 

With a resigned sigh, I remembered the day I'd recorded my speech after a dozen times. I couldn't really decide what to say and how to say them. I needed to make sense and sound romantic at the same time. Even with the final product, I wasn't sure if I had been able to give that effect, I wanted to but it was what I decided on. Did it even matter now? Roy had been faster; though I started with a head start. 

Lost in my train of thoughts, I almost missed the knock on the door. Presuming it was Roy and he forgot his key, I quickly wrapped a towel around my waist. I could leave him there hanging for a couple of minutes but my merciful side kicked into his luck. When I swung the door open, it was an utter shock to find Rachel standing by the doorstep. "Rachel," I breathed, taking an instinctive step back, which seemed inviting. "What are you doing here?"

"I got bored in my room," she said sheepishly. When her eyes trailed up and down at me, it suddenly dawned on me that I was standing half-naked in front of her. Before I could excuse myself, she added: "Can I come in?" 

"Uh," I said, looking back. "Can you wait a sec? I should change." When she nodded, I closed the door again and put on my jeans and a t-shirt. Why did she get bored in her room?