track 11 : oklahoma city

WHEN I WOKE UP, THE FIRST THING I'D DONE WAS TURN BACK

Due to the expectation to find her still sleeping in the back, I was stunned when I saw her spot empty and my jacket left behind. I didn't even know her status after taking drugs last night—maybe she was feeling bad but couldn't wake me up. Rubbing my face, I grabbed my jacket from the back seat and pushed the door open.

I found her on the phone after a stroll. Her back was facing me, and soon, she ended the call. Her silence scared me so much that I almost tiptoed my way toward her, though I knew it may freak her out. I wasn't even sure whether she remembered any moments of last night, and if she did, whether she was mad at me or not.

Surprisingly, I wasn't as invisible as I thought. She slowly turned at me and threw me a timid glance before she averted her gaze. I couldn't understand, for the sake of my sanity, if she decided to avoid me or if she just wanted to stare at the scenery before her instead of me. The silence between us made me lean toward the former but I was keen on not being too hopeless.

When she finally directed her gaze back at me, there was no trace of the spark in them that I'd seen and fallen in love with last night. I was the one who put that out, but I had no other choice. I shouldn't have kissed her back but I was defeated against my attraction.

"I was waiting for you to wake up."

"To talk?" I asked, unable to hide the hopeful tone in my voice. I was dying to find out what she remembered and how she felt. The last thing I would want was to risk the friendship between us if it was all I had with her. I didn't want things to be awkward between us. I could tell her that it was a mistake and I was as high as her, not thinking to the best of my mind. I could deny everything if it could magically resolve the problems—make her look at me in the way she always did.

"No," she replied. I knitted my eyebrows in question. "We are going to the airport."

"You-you're leaving?" The question clogged up my throat. I hadn't assumed what happened between us could cause such damage that made her leave the next minute. She didn't even want to talk to me about it. If she just listened... "Look, Abby, I didn't—"

Her laugh cut me off. "I'm not leaving." I took an internal sigh of relief. "Roy is joining us for the rest of the trip, George."

"What?"

"Yeah, he's flying to Oklahoma. We will get him from the airport."

"Did you invite him?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes," she replied.

"In what title?"

"He's your best friend." She folded her arms defensively. "I don't understand your fuss. You act like he's an enemy. Thought you'd be happy to have him over."