track 27 : las

OUR LAST DESTINATION BEFORE HITTING HOME WAS LAS VEGAS

As I crossed the border of Nevada, an undeniable excitement was rolling inside my guts. Las Vegas was the most adult experience one could have. It was known as Sin City for several reasons but what appealed the most to me was freedom. It felt as though when we stepped foot in that place, we were magically going to be separated from our identities.

"I can't decide what to do in Vegas," Abby suddenly said, her legs spread over my lap and her back against the passenger door. "There are just lots of things."

"We can extend the trip if you want."

"I have a flight in three days," she replied. "I should spend some time with my father before I fly."

"Right," I said, exhaling a breath. "But we'll be there soon. We've got plenty of time."

Absentmindedly, she nodded and looked down at her phone. Her mention of the last three days put me in turmoil that I managed to ignore for a while. When we were together, I was trying to focus solely on us but it was getting harder and harder as the time passed and so did the end. Calling it an end was depressing, but I didn't know what she had in store for us.

We hadn't spoken much until the famous sign of Las Vegas came into sight. Knowing how much she'd loved it, I pulled over and we took our place in the long line of people waiting to take a selfie or group photo. "Apparently we aren't early enough."

"Aren't you grumpy today?" I said laughingly. "Or is it a symptom of your period?"

"Well, considering it's over now, I don't think so." She'd said she was on her period just yesterday. "I know what you're thinking and I don't expect you to understand but that's it." Women and their complexity.

Shrugging the topic once again, we waited for our shot in the line. People were already taking selfies and videos around the place. There was a guy who helped take photos and it sort of quickened the process. After ten minutes, it was our turn and Abby first couldn't decide how to pose.

"Should I look down or up or at you?"

"Why not try all?" I asked. Instead of contemplating her pose, she found it logical to go with my solution after all. I'd taken quick shots of her poses, trying to find the right angle with the sign in the background. When the guy offered to take a photo of both of us, I took my place next to her, throwing my arm around her.

"A bit closer," he ordered. Then, Abby wrapped her arm around my waist and leaned her head against my shoulder. "Perfect," the photographer guy said, handing the machine back. When I took a glance at the latest photo, I confirmed his comment. It was indeed perfect.

As we were walking back to the car, Abby looked behind in awe, then turned at me with a new glint in her eyes. "We are in Vegas." I knew what she meant, and we fucking were.