The Vaginal Ring

A convenient and effective method of contraception.

A small flexible ring can become your reliable contraception choice.

It works based on the same principle as combined oral contraceptives. It blocks ovulation and thickens the cervical mucus, providing comprehensive protection against unwanted pregnancy.

The vaginal ring is an excellent option for women who cant take COCs because of gastrointestinal problems (vomiting, diarrhea) that reduce the effectiveness of the pills.

The method is also suitable for those who don't want to worry about contraception on a daily basis. You just need to remember to take a week-long break 21 days after the ring is inserted.

The contraception method is convenient because a woman can insert and remove the ring on her own as easily as a tampon.

Usually, the partner doesn't feel the ring, but if there is any discomfort, it can be temporarily removed. (My doc told me it could be removed for up to two hours at a time for sex) The contraceptive effect is maintained for up to 3 hours after the ring has been taken out.

Content created in association with UNFPA, the United Nations reproductive health and rights agency.

(I tried the vag ring and it was honestly so wonderful, but unfortunately for me, it only comes in a low dosage of the hormone I need to be on, so I have to take the pills instead. But if you're on the lowest dose of estrogen, try the ring! You'll absolutely love it.)