Mr Kingston's Roommate|55

Leila's POV
Mr. Kingston's Roommate

I slipped out of the psychiatrist's room, my fingers finding their way into my mouth as I nibbled down on my nails. At the sight of me, Blake shot up from the plastic chair and wandered towards me carefully as if he were approaching a wild beast. He outstretched a hand towards me and took mine in his grasp. "H-how was it?" He asked warily.

I knew he expected me to have horrible things to say about this experience but I don't. I've gone through therapy more times than I can count on my fingers, this is normal for me. I need it if I want to start getting better mentally. I need to be better, for me. . .for him. "It was good, Blake. But we need to start going together, not just individually. We went through this together, I think it would be beneficial."

He nodded his head firmly before intertwining our hands, "I agree." He said, bringing my palm to his lips before proceeding to press a firm kiss against it. We exited the building side by side and just outside, parked beside the curb was a taxi which I'm sure Blake called a few minutes before my session ended.

He opened the door for me to get and with a soft thank you, I slipped inside. This week, after being discharged from the hospital I refused to get in a car where Blake or I was the driver. I know he's able to drive again, but I'm afraid seeing him in the driver's seat will trigger a panic attack. Not taking a car is just an inconvenience to us both so I needed to stomach it.

But if I had a choice I'd walk to my destination even if the soles of my feet burn off. I'd have to ask the taxi or Uber driver to drive slowly. I know it wouldn't stop an accident from happening but it's at least reassuring to an extent. "Don't you ever get scared?" I asked him when we finally settled. He turned towards me, his lips downturned in confusion, "what do you mean?" He inquired.

"To drive."

Silence enveloped us. Blake stared blankly ahead of him, his eyes losing focus as his mind wandered. He's been doing this a lot lately, zoning out in the middle of our conversations. I can't blame him, but it's one of the reasons why he also needs therapy, not only me. He may not show it, but he's also suffering mentally.

Blake likes to put on this brave and strong facade. Well, I wouldn't fully call it a facade because he really is brave and strong, he just doesn't like to show his vulnerable side, especially now seeing as he believes he needs to be strong for us both. But he doesn't understand together, we can withstand anything.

"Blake?"

"Yeah," he mumbled, snapping out of his reverie. He titled his head towards me and flashed me a lopsided smile, "I do. . .I can't say I don't have a choice but at the same time, I don't. Even if I did, eventually I'd have to drive again so why not start now and get over the inevitable? Every time I sit down in that seat I-I relive that day but you know what keeps me from breaking down on the road? Knowing that I'm on my way to see you because you never died from that accident."

I pressed my palm against his cheek and leaned into his touch, placing a tender kiss against his forehead. He smiled and shifted in his seat as he moved to lay his head down onto my shoulder. We sat still in silence until my eyelids began to droop, growing heavy by the second, till darkness consumed me.

~~~

"Brat, wake up." I sprung upright, my eyes wide as it snapped around the taxi in confusion. Blake etched his face beside mine and frowned before he broke out into a smile, "are you awake now? You look like you've seen a ghost." I ignored him and peered out of the window, "w-where are we I thought we were going back to the apartment."

At least a month after the accident, Blake moved out of the dorm room and rented an apartment close to the hospital so that he could be closer to me so that it wouldn't inconvenience him most of the time when he's out of school. That way he can come and go quickly.