Mr Kingston's Roommate|33

Leila's POV
The shock of a lifetime

"I know I was supposed to leave last night. . .but I couldn't. I guess this is the third goodbye, god why am I so nervous!" I cried out loud as I draped my hand over my head, cradling my aching temples. "Well, I'm nervous because there's a girl standing here having a full-blown conversation with no one in particular."

A squeal escaped my lips as I swivelled my head in the direction of the person's voice, stumbling back on my feet which just so happens to have missed the rock sitting right there, In result I ended up tumbling over, falling onto the ground with a humph. "Oh god! I-I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to startle you!"

The mysterious guy outstretched a hand towards me. I hesitated for a second and he caught on, cocking his head sideways as he waved his hand softly, "I don't bite, I promise ya." He exclaimed, a chuckle escaping his lips.

I glared up at him and slipped my hand into his, allowing him to hoist me onto my feet effortlessly. "For your information, before you rudely disturbed me I was talking to my brother. If you're standing here in a cemetery at early hours of the morning, obviously this wouldn't be a particularly peculiar sight now would it?"

God, I sound like Blake.

"I-I know, I was just playing, I'm sorry." He mumbled as he rose his hands to the nape of his neck, scratching it nervously. I assessed his face slowly, wondering where I've seen him before. This town isn't big, everyone knows everyone but for some reason, I couldn't quite put my finger on who he was.

"Your brother. . ." he trailed off as his eyes flickered to Kyle's tombstone. Then they snapped towards me and his eyes widened, he pointed a finger in my direction and smiled, "y-you're Leila right!?" He chuckled sheepishly. I pursed my lips in a thin line and shook my head, "No, I'm Britney Spears." I deadpanned, rolling my eyes in annoyance.

"D-don't you remember me!?"

"No, should I?" I inquired as my eyes flickered over his face. Hazel eyes, jet black hair, ridiculously sharp jawline, sunken cheeks with a hint of dimples. God this man appeared as if he jumped out of Vogue magazine. "Luke-Luke James? I was your tenth-grade lab partner for the entire semester!"

"Luke James? The geek?" I didn't mean to sound insensitive but I was already annoyed at him for interrupting my conversation with Kyle. He chuckled softly and adjusted his dark glasses, pushing them up the bridge of his nose. "I wouldn't exactly call myself a geek."

"Could have fooled me." I scoffed as I pivoted on my heels to face Kyle's grave. Silence enveloped us and for a moment I thought he had disappeared but when I felt his presence beside me, I knew he wouldn't bug off. So instead I tilted my head towards him, frowning.

"Why are you here? If you don't mind me asking." He flickered his eyes towards me and shoved his hands down his pockets, "grandma died two weeks ago. Today is her birthday so I came to drop off some flowers and her favourite cupcake. She loved everything velvet although I kept warning her about raising her cholesterol." He chuckled softly, his lips sliding into a sad smile.

"My condolences Luke. I can tell she meant a lot to you." I mumbled, my hand reaching up towards his arm as I squeezed it softly, an attempt to comfort him. His smile widened and he tapped my hand softly, nodding his head, "thanks, Leila."

My eyes fell onto the watch wrapped around my wrist and I swallowed hard, knowing my father was off to work in thirty minutes. I wanted to get there before he leaves, he's usually happier in the morning than mid-day. "Hey, Luke I have to go."

"Will I be seeing you again?" He asked innocently. I contemplated that question. I could back down now, just drive back to campus and forget about confronting my father. But what good would that bring me? I'd have done all of this for nothing.