Mr Kingston's Roommate|53

Leila's POV
"He just looked at her like he just realized what love is."

It's been a few hours since everyone came to visit. I was still waiting patiently for Blake, I'd expect him to be here first thing after his first lecture but his second lecture has already rolled around and he hasn't been here. I slumped back against my bed, my nails hiked in between my teeth as I nibbled down onto it.

It's only been around 10 hours since I've woken up and yet still it feels like I've been awake for years, time was dreadfully ticking away and the longer I didn't see Blake, the longer the day felt. There was a soft rap against the door. I sat upright and mumbled for the person to come in without sparing them a glance as I stared blankly at the wall.

"Wow, you look- I can't believe you're awake." I didn't get a moment to react to his abrupt appearance before he pulled me into his arms, hugging me gently so as to not hurt me. His long hair brushed against my face, pricking at my delicate skin but I ignored it and hugged back tightly, basically reassuring him that I won't get hurt by a simple hug.

"How are you- I-I mean obviously you're not the greatest given the circumstances but still." I tugged away from his arms and smiled, "uhm minus the fact that I have a TBI, broken leg, most of my flesh has been burnt off, I've been in a coma for three months plus I missed my birthday? I'm peachy, Peter." I wasn't trying to be sarcastic nor blatant but honestly, I didn't really know how to feel about all of this.

Peter took my hands in his grasp, he was quiet for a moment, just looking into my eyes as if he was trying to understand whether or not I was really sitting here talking to him. Then his lips quirked upwards into a small smile, "you're the strongest person I've ever met and I'm lucky to be best friends with you. It just so happens that the moment I decide to come back to school you wake up. I guess the universe is showing me I made the right choice."

I frowned deeply. I do recall him saying he might not be back, does that mean everything worked out with Maria? "I can see the question on your face. Maria's parents and I checked her into a mental hospital. There's a possibility she might harm herself again if I try to leave her so she needs to be in a place where she can be controlled. It's good, I hope she gets well soon but I can't put my life on hold just for her."

I nodded my head in understanding. I can't begin to imagine threatening Blake with my own life. That's manipulation on another level, a level I can't stomach to even think about. I'm just happy he's out of this toxic relationship, as long as she doesn't get out to further ruin his life. "Are you okay?" His gaze averted from mine and for a moment it appeared as if he wouldn't answer until he cleared his throat softly. "Yeah, yeah I just want her to be okay."

I eyed him closely, chuckling under my breath in disbelief as it finally dawned on me. How could he be so oblivious to this? "You love her." He snapped his head towards me, frowning. "What!?"

"You love her. Deep down you love her, you might say that you don't and would turn the world upside down denying it but you do, what you're doing for her is out of love, not to just get her out of your life. Only a person who loved you would go to such great lengths such as thinking about dropping out of college to take care of you. 

You put your love life on hold - sorta - in order to protect her from herself. You may not be in love with her anymore but I doubt you hate her, you just don't want to admit it because you're scared of the possibility of loving someone as messed up as she is, but take it from me, having this kind of support is what brought me back on my feet and I know that one day, with your support Maria might just get better."