Chapter One

Raelle

Raelle

This has been the longest week of my life and it's just Tuesday! I have barley had a minute to myself due to my best friend Lauren and I moving into our new apartment this past Saturday.

Who knew two college graduates had this much shit. Thank God we live on the bottom floor because we've been moving boxes most of the damn day.

I just finished unpacking my room and decided to finally collapse into my California king sized bed. Letting out a sigh, I reach over to my nightstand and grab my air pods and my phone. I instantly unlock my phone and go straight to my music app.

Normal Girl by SZA ( in mm) is heard blasting through my earphones and I am instantly at peace. Music really does speak when words fail.

This song is voicing all of the many thoughts and emotions that are swimming around in my head. Why can't I be a normal girl?

You love the way I pop my top

Or how I lose my cool

Or how I look at you

Say why?

It ain't no fighting, no I can't stop it

This took a while, yeah

For the way I pump my fist or how I bust my hip

For your affection, tryna be down

No fighting and no stoppin'

Stick around

I am constantly plagued by the thoughts of my inner self.

Why can't I be beautiful like the girls I see on Instagram? Why can't I have the perfect body? Why can't my skin be as flawless as the women that are constantly thrown in my face on a daily? Why can't America learn to love women of my skin tone as much as they love women who are lighter than I am?

Wish I was the type of girl you take over to mama

The type of girl, I know my daddy, he'd be proud of

Yeah, be proud of

Be proud of, be proud, you know, you know

Wanna be a type of girl, you take home to your mama

The type of girl, I know your fellas would be proud of

Be proud of, be proud of, be proud of, boy you know

Normal girl

I wish I was a normal girl, oh my

How do I be? How do I be a lady?