Chapter Five Part XXXVIII (ED)

The mirror's surface returned to the swirling gray clouds, and the older Niaomi spoke. "We flew on the pegasi deeper into the mountains, searching for the next bondmate: a kveykav-fethrblaka."

"Thunderbirds," Arya said. Her niece nodded in affirmation.

"Thunderbirds are big, blue birds that have the ability to harness lightning. They were created by Zeus from the sparks of his thunderbolts being forged by Hephaestus, and their cry echoes like thunder. They live in the peaks of Alalëa, and rarely venture forth from their dwellings."

She touched the mirror, and the clouds dissipated to show the reminiscence. The five children were flying low to the ground around mountainsides to catch a glimpse of the elusive bird. Below them, a dark streak through the forest represented Bramble as he ran with incredible speed, keeping pace easily.

"We have nine hours, thirty minutes, and three seconds counting," Gedwëy said as the wind rushed past, almost blowing away her tiny voice.

"Nine and a half hours left, guys," Nia relayed to the others.

Still no sign of them, Delois mused, her gray eyes scanning the forests. Ruyi stirred and touched Niaomi's mind, thoughts filled with hunger.

"Hey, Ruyi is getting hungry," the girl called. "Let's land so we can find some food."

"Could do with a bite to eat myself," her elder brother agreed as the pegasi dipped, spiraling into a descent. They landed a bit roughly, teeth bumping together as the pegasi reared so they wouldn't fall.

Sorry, the pholÿnar apologized.

"It's fine," Nicholas told them as he dismounted, stumbling on the rough ground. "This is not the ideal landing spot."

Bramble walked up to his bondmate, coat dampened with his sweat. Water break?

"And a food one, too," Rose added. "Did you happen to see a river nearby?"

There's one a few yards away from here, the unicorn replied. Lemme show you guys.

Walking forward, the kids and pegasi tramped through the underbrush after Bramble. The horses pulled their wings in tight to keep them from clipping against the trees. Finally, they emerged onto a river bank.

Stepping towards it, Nate announced, "Oh great river, we have traveled far across Alalëa, and seek respite in your coolness. May we drink and wash ourselves with your water?"

Nothing happened for a moment, and then the river rippled slightly, a wave of water lapping towards the children before receding. Thanking it profusely, Nathan began to greedily drink as the others followed suit.

"Oh gods, this feels good," the blonde moaned as she splashed some water onto her face, blue eyes closed with bliss.

"Ditto twin," her sister murmured as she gulped down the refreshing liquid. Wiping her face, she looked towards the only girl who remained standing. "Why aren't you drinking, Nia?"

"Ruyi needs food," her friend replied. She delicately removed the darksnake from her neck and held it wrapped around her forearm. "I'll be right back."

We'll be here, Bramble said as he drunk. Cloud nodded as she stretched out her wings, using them to pour water onto herself. Nia smiled to herself at the image they made before heading off, Gedwëy flying beside her.

"What shall you hunt for?" the fairy asked, her glow gently lighting the way.

The young Niaomi grinned as she said, "A mouse sounds good."

Closing her eyes, she felt for any animals. The view zoomed through the forest to show a small mouse foraging for food before her silver-flecked eyes opened. "Okay, Nick told me that darksnakes have to learn how to hunt. So I'll bring Ruyi to the mouse and let her try."

Quietly, she walked towards the creature, who showed no sign of hearing the girl. Lowering her hand, she let Ruyi slither down onto the ground. The sundavrilnú flickered her tongue, jade eyes focusing on the mouse only a few feet away. Less noisy than a whisper, Ruyi moved toward the animal, her concentration solely on the rodent. When she was only three inches away, she coiled her body and suddenly struck like lightning.

The mouse didn't even have time to squeal before Ruyi's strong jaws clamped down, ending its struggles. Slowly, she began to swallow the creature, working it into her mouth. The mirror turned to show Nia looking on with a mixture of horror and satisfaction.

"Well, this is gross," she announced, looking a bit pale despite her dark complexion. "Gedwëy, can you keep an eye on Ruyi till she's done? I'll just go look for some berries or something."

Gedwëy's luminescent eyes looked at the girl with amusement. "Of course, Nia. Go on."

With a grin full of gratitude, Niaomi turned away and headed into the forest. It was mostly quiet except for the occasional call of birds or chitter of squirrels, and she soon spotted a mulberry tree, its branches dripping with the juicy purple fruit. She unhooked a bag from her belt and began to pick the berries. As she pulled the branches, a soft cry of pain was heard from the tree.

Stopping, Nia gently moved the branches aside to find a small baby bird clinging tightly to the branch. Chirping faintly, it stared at the girl with frightened ice-blue eyes, ruffling its dark blue crest as it perched on the tree.