Chapter Nine Part LXXV

Quick shout-out to PeterBanning, who became my 350th voter, and Lion_Lamb_13, who became my 95th fan (though it now says 94 because I lost one xP). They got to choose from a list of prizes, and you can too if you become my 400th voter or my 100th fan. Now, happy reading - and sorry for the cliffhanger! :3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Well, we sure as Hades have something to say about it,” rang Niaomi’s voice from above, and the angle tilted upwards to show the five phloÿnar rapidly descending. A streak of fire dove in between them, screeching as the phoenix extended her talons to claw at Liress’s hair. The mage yelled, waving her arms to remove Flair as the pegasi landed, and Nicholas dismounted Malt and ran towards his fiancée.

He placed his hands along the barrier, the focus ring glowing as he closed eyes in concentration and began muttering a counterspell. Liress finally managed to dislodge the fire-bird, violently casting her aside onto the ground. Niaomi and Nat had already dismounted, and the girl now ran to her fallen bondmate. Eyes glittering, the Black Hand pointed in Niaomi’s direction, but before she could concoct a spell, a brightsteel throwing star managed to slice her arm.

Ren fell into Nick’s arms as she was freed from the barrier, and Rose ran to join the others as Liress healed her arm. The mage smiled at the children, who were all standing in a battle stance. Nathan and Niaomi, after letting Flair fly out of her arms, had also removed their weapons, the boot dirks and stiletto blades respectively. Nicholas was rubbing his ring, standing nearer to the back of the group as Liress walked forwards.

“Well, it seems I’ve underestimated your training,” she said, her voice sounding regretful. “And your weapons. They’re able to break through a warding with a few well placed blows? Fascinating craftsmanship - and definitely beyond your abilities.”

Niaomi’s grip on her hairsticks tightened in response to the casual insult. “And how would you know what we’re capable of?”

Liress paused, now only a few feet away. “Oh, you misunderstood. While I may not have a full knowledge of what you can do, I assure you that I have a good grasp of what two bastards and three abominations cannot do.”

“You say that we are the abominations?” Nat said with an incredulous snort. “Aren’t you the darkest pot calling the kettles black.”

“And you think you and your fellow freaks are so spotless?” Laughing softly, she flipped back her hair, the golden mane reaching down to her buttocks in a lush wave. Even with her dark, ugly personality, the sheer beauty of Liress could not be marred. Her full, sultry red lips pursed together, and the boy stiffened as she purred, “I belong only to one species, sweetheart, and that’s human. What about you? Half-human, half-elf, but nothing whole.”

“I believe that the politically correct term would be a helmingr, actually,” Niaomi spit out, her violet eyes burning in fury.

Chuckling once more, the Black Hand said in a mocking tone, “Don’t you know the ancient language? Helmingr is just another word for hálfr - just another word for ‘half’, and that’s all you will ever amount to. That is, unless you come with me.”

“I beg your pardon?” asked Renata, the disbelief clear in her voice.

“Come with me,” Liress suggested, her smile sweet. “You all don’t belong on this island, disconnected from the world. You’re Riders now - you have a duty. To protect Alagaësia and its people from harm.” Turning to Nathan, her voice grew ever more suggestive. “And you, sweetheart, you can be something. No longer do you have to stand in your sister’s shadow. No longer do you have to feel inadequate or worthless or forgotten. Just come with me.”