Chapter Six Part LII (ED)

"Ha ha," she said with a roll of her violet eyes. "You can't just use the phrase 'after a sixteen years of mornings,' can you?"

Niom snorted. "I pride myself on being original."

"And being specific," Niaomi chided, but she smiled and went up to her father, leaning up on tiptoes to squeeze his broad shoulders and kiss his prickly cheek. "Thanks for the birthday wishes, Faði."

"You're welcome, darling," he replied, flashing his white teeth.

She moved to her mother, who held her arms open for a hug. Nia obliged, arms tightly holding Leafë. Now that they were the same height, Eragon could better see the similarities in their appearances: both had the same finely boned faces and prominent noses. But there were distinct differences as well; Niaomi's hair was curly and black were her mother's was sleek and silver, her lips full while the other's were thin, and her complexion was a warm brown in contrast to her mother's light mocha tone. All in all, the girl's features were a perfect blend of both her parents.

"Happy birthday, my darling Nia," Leafë murmured now as she stepped back to look at her daughter. "You've grown into quite a beautiful young lady."

Nia blushed slightly, the flecks in her eyes twinkling. "Thanks, Mor. Where are all the others?"

"Nate and Rose should be in the garden," her mother answered as she moved towards some bowls, reaching into the cabinets for ingredients. "Nick and Ren are at the library with Vanilor. And your yawë fricaya - "

"Are 'out and about' as usual," Niaomi finished. Giving her mother one last squeeze, she walked out of the kitchen, grabbing a green apple on the way. "I'm out to go visiting."

"Be back by noon!" Niom called, and his daughter waved a hand in acknowledgment as she rounded the corner. The focus followed her as she walked through the garden's paths. It was much bigger than it had been years before, with more trees and different flowers.

Peering through the willow's drooping branches, she caught sight of her brother and his beau. The two were standing close, and Eragon could see Nate reach into his pocket and pull out a golden necklace with a loivissa pendant. Nia smiled as he clasped it around Rose's neck, and she quietly left the two to their special moment.

"Finally," she muttered quietly to herself, "my boneheaded brother has realized his feelings."

The present-day Nathan grumbled at the words, and his sister looked from the screen to wink at him as her younger self emerged from the garden. Before her was a very large yellow stable that had a high thatched roof riddled with windows and wide doors.

Pushing them open, Niaomi walked on top of the hay that covered the floor among the stalls. A few held horses, and each stall was much bigger than Eragon thought there could be room for. The floor in them was made of grass, and water flowed like a stream from one to the next. Light shone into the stables from the wide glass panels on the roof. Most of the horses were elven ones, and they nickered a greeting to the girl, who smiled and said warmly, "Kvetha."

She continued on until she arrived at the last stall, in which there was an exit that led to the outside. Laying in the tall grass was a fully grown pegasus. Its long white wings were gently folded on its back as it rested. Smiling, Nia called, "Kvetha, iet hestr flauga."

The pholÿn opened one deep purple eye, and Eragon recognized it as none other than Cloud. She ruffled her feathers irritably. Why are you awake at this hour?

Grinning even wider, her bondmate replied cheerily, "Today's my birthday and visiting day!"

Cloud stood slowly, stretching out her muscles. It's still no excuse to be up and about.

"Nate thinks it is," Niaomi explained. Her pegasus merely snorted before walking out of the stables. The girl walked through the back door and joined Cloud where she was waiting patiently.

Where are the others? asked the winged horse as she mounted.

Closing her eyes, Nia answered slowly, "Rumble is out hunting, Sky is sleeping somewhere nearby, and all the rest are waiting at…Du Breoal Abr Kvaedheya."

You're growing very proficient at looking into our minds, Cloud remarked as she took off, the girl loosely holding her mane for support. And the distance at which you can do it has grown considerably.

"Is that an actual compliment?" Niaomi asked, gasping in feigned shock as she took a bite of her apple. "And before noon?"

Happy birthday, came the brisk reply as they flew off. The reminiscence fast-forwarded, skipping past their flight to their arrival at the library. The two landed, and Nia dismounted before walking up and touching the marble veins that marked the doors. They immediately opened inwards, allowing the girl and her pegasus to walk into the foyer before shutting once again.

Voices sounded in their heads, and they followed them to a connected room on the far right side. It was a large parlor with pale marble floors shrouded in deep green carpets. Several sofas and chairs were strewn in a circular pattern, leaving a wide open space in front of the large fireplace.

It was here that Niaomi's bondmates reclined, talking in low whispers that the viewers could hear but not decipher. The pair's entrance caused their discussion to come to a halt as they looked up and greeted their two friends.

"Niaomi," Gedwëy said formally, fluttering to the girl. She hadn't grown in height, but her features had matured, her face having grown narrower and hair having grown to her ankles. Glowing white dust trailed her as she flitted onto her bondmate's curls. "Happy anniversary of your arrival into the world."

"Thank you, Gedwëy," the girl replied.

Yeah, happy birthday! Dew said, bounding away from the group to the three. He had grown into a full adult mistwolf, reaching up to Nia's waist, and his dark facial markings had stretched around his snout out to his eyes and cheeks, giving him an almost haunting gaze. But those eyes - now the same golden color as his father's - were still wily, and his black ruff stood out against the rest of his white fur.

A meow sounded, and the werecat that was no longer a kitten slunk around a beige sofa, white paws soundlessly padding towards them. In a mellow tone, she greeted her bondmate. Well done for having survived another year.

"Thanks Ava," Niaomi replied. Dewdrop huffed, and she scratched him behind the ear as she said, "And thanks to you as well, Dew."