Chapter Eight Part LXXI

Sorry again for the lateness, guys. Free time has become nonexistent in my life. But here's the update, finally, and another apology picture: our leading man Eragon Shadeslayer, played none other by an edited Justin Gaston. Much better than the movie casting, right? ;D

Congratz to sarahlove909 for becoming my 90th fan (lost one so it says she's #89 but whatever xP)! If you want a chance to choose a prize, become my 95th fan or 350th voter, which is only ten votes away. Also, chapter nine's dedication is still open to a vocal and "dedicated" fan! :)

That's all, folks - happy reading to you! (^ー^)ノ

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All five spun around, and the mirror's image turned with them to show the viewers the open door and the figure that stood behind it. It was a woman, short and wiry, her weathered face lined with an ageless beauty. She was clad in flowing white robes, and barely came to the kids' shoulders; yet, even through the reminiscence Eragon could feel the power that emanated from her being. Somehow she seemed familiar to him, the wave of curls a tangled swath of fiery orange hair. He finally realized that she was the same woman on Niaomi's tattoo, the one who rode the purple dragon, Vervada. However, Eragon felt like her voice reminded him of someone as she spoke once more.

"Well, what a bunch we have here! Two humans and three helmingar - now that is a surprise. We all had expected that elves would be the first to arrive."

The cheerful and friendly tone made the five relax slightly. Ren, still supporting Niaomi, asked the woman, "Who are you?"

"I am the Progenitor, Guardian of the Caves," the woman replied with a short bow, the golden flecks in her hazel eyes twinkling. "This is not my real body, but merely a copy left here to protect the dragon eggs."

"Protect?" Nat frowned. "Does that mean you were the one trying to kill us?"

"Those were tests to prove your worth," answered the Progenitor, slowly walking forward. Her form shimmered and shifted, never seeming to quite settle in place until she stood still, coming to a stop in front of the pedestal. Turning around to face the children, she continued with a smile, "You have passed."

"Really?" Rosaminda said excitedly, a grin spreading across her lips.

The auburn curls bounced up and down in assent. "You have all faced your greatest fears and overcome them. Step forward, young one."

Without hesitation Rose came to the guardian, who gently placed her hands on the blond's shoulders as she stared into her eyes. "You have a large heart as a Healer, daughter of Belinda. While many - even you - may mistake it for weakness, therein lies great strength. Today, remember how you saved your god-sister, and take courage in the fact that you are kind and brave enough to protect those you love even as they protect you."

Tears welled in the sky blue eyes, and the Progenitor smiled softly before picking up the pink dragon egg. As she held it out to Rosaminda, the spinels on the girl's belt flared once in response. Cautiously, Rose reached out and took the egg, holding it close to her chest before she whispered, "Thank you," and backed away.

"You're next, Mage." Eyes wide, Nick slowly walked up to stand before the woman. As with Rosaminda, the nimble-looking hands were placed onto his shoulders as she said, "While you have your father's face, your spirit is much like your mother's."

"How do you know?"

The redheaded Rider laughed. "Your questioning proves as much, son of Leafë. Though you may not have all the answers, you do have the solutions. In your dedication to help your loved one, you have proven to be ingenious and and quick thinking, and as worthy of your dragon egg as your father was of his."

The green egg was handed to the young man, and the emeralds on his own belt flared just like Rose's belt had when he reverently accepted it before stepping back. The Progenitor gestured to his brother next, and Nathan walked forward confidently, though all could see the trembling of his hands. That trembling was stilled as the woman gripped his shoulders and peered into his eyes.

"I see a strong Champion who stands before me. For all of your valor, your fear lies in being left behind. But today, you have shown true confidence - not in yourself, but in your family. Do not ever forget their loyalty, for it is as strong for you as yours is for them. Now take your egg, son of Niom."

Nat did as he was bid, the glare from his topaz-studded belt reflecting off the orange jewel in which Toparien would hatch from. Renata was next, and came forward on her cue, shivering slightly as the redhead's hands were planted onto her.

"Your spirit differs from your twin's, daughter of Beloth," the Progenitor began with grin. "I knew your father in my youth, and I can say with great assurance that he would be most proud of the woman you've grown up to be. Many will look to you for your guidance, and as the Sage, you will offer it. But you must trust your own judgement, and I hope that your trial has proven to you how very trustworthy that judgement is."

Ren stared at the the gray egg for a few moments before accepting it with a quiet but sincere, "Thank you." The hematites on her belt flared for one moment before dimming as she stepped away. Now, the path lay open to the last egg for the last girl.

The woman picked up the egg, holding it as Niaomi slowly walked forward, her Dragon's Kiss shimmering as brightly as the silver in her eyes. She came to a stop a footstep away, touching her fingers to her lips before twisting the same hand over her sternum in the elfish greeting.

The white-clad figure gave the girl an answering nod. "So you are the Seer. The burden placed upon you is a heavy one. You are the key to freeing the fellow Riders from the Destroyer, and are also the key to seeking me out to complete your training as Riders. The journey will be a difficult one to face, but you must take strength.

"This egg is from my own dragon's brood, Vervada. She entrusts you with her hatchling's care, as she does another in the near future." The Progenitor held out the white egg to Niaomi, who carefully took it into her own hands as the diamonds on her belt flashed, blinking quickly to dispel the tears from her eyes.

With a shimmer of red and white, the figure of Vervada's Rider drifted back to the spot behind the door. "Once all of your eggs hatch, this cavern will rise from the depths of the ocean where you all are now and bring you back safely to the surface once more," she said with a large grin. "When you arrive at Alagaësia, seek me out in the mountains beyond the Spine. Safe travels, young Riders. And...I'm sorry for your loss."

Before they could respond, the door materializing back into place, and the gems fell out as a whole bracelet once more. Niaomi said quietly, "What loss?" as it clattered to the floor, almost muffling the even softer sound of tapping coming from her youngest brother's egg.