Chapter Seven Part LXI (ED)

The mirror's reflection wavered to replace the scene with a black cavern. The five kids trooped inside it, Nia leading the way with a ball of light in her hand. It's glow illuminated the cave, revealing rugged black walls for a few yards ahead and behind. The cavern itself was wide enough to walk ten abreast, so the group clumped together as they moved deeper into its depths.

"It's eerily quiet in here," Nate whispered, his voice increasing in volume as it bouncing along the walls.

"You mean it was eerily quiet," his brother replied, only a hint of annoyance in his tone. His intelligent green eyes constantly scanned ahead for danger.

Nathan scowled. "At least it's not eerie anymore."

"You're right; now it's just noisy."

"It takes two to talk."

"Not in your case."

"But in this scenario it does!"

"Too bad it's not the usu- "

"Guys!" Niaomi hissed, making Nick pause mid-word. "Look!"

The brothers peered forward into the darkness before turning to their sister and complaining, "I don't see anything - "

"Not there!" she said impatiently, raising her hand higher. "The walls."

Her movement made the light cast brighter along the sloping rock, causing it to glint. Eragon squinted and saw how the walls seemed more reflective than they'd been before, a new glossiness to their appearance. In the reminiscence, Nia approached the walls, drawing the light closer as her other hand stroked the smooth surface.

"It feels like glass," she said in surprise.

Nicholas leaned closer to examine the rock. "Obsidian," he declared. "It seems as though the composition of the walls has changed from the previously hardened magma to this more polished stone. Since it only forms through the rapid solidification of lava, we can conclude that from this point onwards the structure has been purposefully modified."

As soon as his brother had finished speaking, Nate turned to Renata and said, "In Runic, please."

Nick rolled his eyes at his triplet as his beau pointed to the wall and said concisely, "Walls went from rough to smooth. Doesn't happen in nature. Must have been done by someone."

Everyone applauded besides Niaomi, who was still holding the light sphere, and Nicholas, who muttered, "Ingrates."

Ignoring his grumbles, Ren continued, "Since the cave is now showing signs of being tampered with, we're probably getting closer to our goal."

"The dragon eggs," Nia murmured. Underneath her palm, a ripple seemed to run through the walls, making it gleam brightly before growing dark; in that instance, the light in her other hand disappeared.

"What just happened?" Rosaminda asked, her voice pitched higher with fear.

"Everyone, stick together," Nathan ordered. "Don't move from you position. Nia, why'd you end the spell?"

"I didn't end the spell," his sister replied, confused. "And I can't seem to use magic anymore."

"Neither can I," his brother added.

Renata voiced her own lacking abilities as well before realizing, "Nia, your words must have activated a preset spell that cancelled magic utilization, like the one at the entrance."

It was silent before Nate snickered and jibbed, "Good job, sister dear."

"You're lucky I can't see you," she warned in a low voice, making her brother laugh harder. Heaving an very audible sigh, Niaomi spoke to the group as a whole. "Let's place our hands on the wall and join them. Rose, you were the furthest ahead, so you'll be the leader. Be careful where you step. We're going to continue very slowly."