30

Laurel's POV

My blood ran cold as I put the phone in my bag, I rush out of the bed and start dressing myself quickly. It's not that late in the day, but George had a long day and we decided to have a nap.

My blonde curls keep getting in my eyes as I fumble around with my bra and jeans, and I feel like ripping it out. I hear the bed creak from behind me and turn while pulling my top over my head to see George rubbing his eyes,

'Everything alright, love? You look pale'

I shake my head and feel tears spring to my eyes,

'No. No, Nancy's been in an accident. The hospital called me. They said it's really bad'

George's eyes widen and he scurries out of bed and dives into some clothes, we both rush out of the house into the car and head to the hospital as fast as possible.

I let George drive because I'm not in the right state of mind to drive. I look down and notice I've mismatched my clothes horribly, but at this point I couldn't care less. I focus on my breathing, inhaling deeply.

George notices and grabs my hand tight, rubbing the back of it with his thumb. He's driving carefully yet quickly, I know he's really worried too. He loves Nancy, they're really close.

'Excuse me for asking, Laurel-'

I look at George, but his eyes remain on the road,

'- how comes they called you and not John?'

'Well, when she signed up to the GP, she put me as her emergency number because I was the only person I knew back then'

I smile at the memories of us first meeting, the innocent pretty London girl coming to Liverpool to pursue her dreams, her world got flipped upside down when she met the boys, but she managed to stay on top of it the entire time. I admire her so much, she's the strongest person I know. If I never invited her to the Cavern that night, she wouldn't be with John, I wouldn't be with George and she wouldn't have her daughter. And she wouldn't be fighting for her life. I stop the horrid thoughts from flooding my brain, and focus on our happy memories.

I call John on George's phone and tell him to get to the hospital. He sounds really upset as it is, and when he says the next words I feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up,

'Was Violet with her?'

I had presumed Violet was with John, and she's not, meaning she must be. I feel sick to my stomach, and George pulls into the hospital.

I take a deep breath and unbuckle my seatbelt, running into the foyer and desperately telling the receptionist the name Nancy Everett. George trails in behind me and I hear a girl sail as she sees him. Reluctantly, he gives her an autograph.

A nurse leads me to the room where Nancy is, and she's covered in wires with tubes entering both of her hands. She's in a neck brace on and a machine is breathing for her. She's in a coma. I notice that Violet is not in the room, she must be with other children I guess.

I feel a lump in my throat and George's hands on my shoulders, he rubs them gently. The sight is horrifying, my best friend, practically not alive. I start to sob heavily, and I fall to my knees.

'There there, love'

George pulls me up and I sob into his shoulder, his hand rubbing up and down my back. He kisses my hair and I breathe heavily. I hear someone fumble with the doorknob and look up through watery eyes to see John stumble
in. He looks really rough, his hair is really messy and it's clear he's been crying a lot.