29

Paul bit his lip and took a step back, looking me in my eye. I felt intimidated in a weird sort of way, how he has so much power over me. After how he'd treated me, I'd promised myself I'd never be with him again, yet with one visit he's making me desperately want him.

I stand there for a moment, taking in everything, not that there's even much to take in, but his presence enough is a lot. Although he's not been looking after himself, he still looks good. Really good. His shirt is unbuttoned at the top and his sleeves are rolled up, showing his forearms.

I notice the veins on his hands that snake up his arms and disappear  under his shirt. I notice the slight stubble on his face from where he's rejected shaving. I notice the few strands on hair that have been plastered to his forehead from nervous sweat. I notice his pupils dilating within his hazel eyes when he looks at me, his long eyelashes curling up to his eyebrows. All of these minor details, making up Paul.

Beautiful Paul, the man I fell in love with. But that one mistake, out of pure jealousy, he ruined everything. He gingerly steps towards me once again, and reaches out reluctantly, cupping my face,

'Oh, Nancy.'

I sigh, looking away from his lovely eyes. My stomach churns and my eyes sting and my heart pounds and my head spins. I realise, deep down that I still love him. I avert my gaze to Violet, her fingers curl around my thumb and she smiles up at me. I couldn't get back with Paul. It's not fair on John and I don't want to intervene with her life like that.

When I look back up at him, he tilts his head slightly. I just blink at him, and a tear escapes my eye. I don't want him to let me feel this way, he doesn't deserve to be able to. He leans in bashfully and kisses me softly.

I step back before he has the chance to let his lips remain on mine,

'No, Paul. You can't'

He purses his lips, nodding slowly. At that moment, the front door swings open.

'I'm home!'

John strides into the room, happy as ever. Clearly, he's over the moon he managed to get home early. When he sees Paul, his face changes instantly,

'Paul?'

I see Paul gulp, and he tries to walk past John, but John steps to the side slightly so that his shoulder blocks Paul's path. Paul looks at me with desperation in his eyes. I shrug, and John looks at me quickly,

'Nance?'

His face looks sad suddenly,

'You two-'

I realise that John assumes we got together.

'John! We didn't!'

I'm too late, John leaps on Paul and starts punching him furiously,

'You couldn't just leave her, could you?! You have to take every girl I get!'

Paul is on the ground with John on top of him, who is straddling him and punching him. It takes a moment for Paul to realise what's going on and to retaliate, instead of punching John, he tries to hold his wrists instead.

Both of them continue fighting, John still shouting furiously, and Paul has started to punch John back, because just defending himself wasn't doing much good.

'John please! I didn't touch 'er!'

'Fuck you! Stop lying for one minute!'

I notice that John is actually crying. I put Violet (who is also crying violently) in her high chair and try to pull John off of Paul.