(58)

Amalia stared at the little woman who knew her name. For a moment I wondered whether it was her Mom.

But Amalia wouldn't have been confused if it was her Mom. More than anything, it seemed like she was attempting to retrieve a memory.

"Do I know you?" She asked, soft. It wasn't rude.

The woman held a hand across her chest and smiled. "Sí. Amalia, child you look beautiful. It's been too long."

Amalia laughed with a nervous echo. "I'm sorry, I— I'm not sure who you are."

The woman pulled a chair from the table beside us and sat down close to Amalia. "Antonella," she pointed at her chest, the lines around her mouth deepened with her smile. "You used to call me Nella. When you were small."

Amalia's brows furrowed, recognition began to seep into her puzzled expression. "That does sound familiar."

"Sí. Elias was a good friend. A best friend to Augustus. My late husband."

Amalia nodded and twisted her body further towards her as she straightened up. "You had a parrot called Luigi?!"

Antonella clapped her hands together and laughed as she nodded her head. Her curls bouncing with enthusiasm. "Sí, Sí! Oh sweet child. It's been such a long time. Is Elias here?!"

Amalia looked thrilled. "Oh no. He isn't. I'm vacationing with my boyfriend. It was a birthday surprise," she looked at me and grinned. "This is Max. Max this is Antonella."

I held out a hand for her to shake. "It's lovely to meet you ma'am."

She crossed her heart and pulled her chin back into her neck as she oohed and aahed. "Que caballero tan guapo."

Amalia giggled. "El es perfecto y estamos enamorados."

Antonella almost bounced out of her seat. Whatever was being said, it made Amalia blush. A full blush across her chest and cheeks.

She was the most radiant woman I'd ever seen. I could stare at her for hours.

There was a pause in the reunion when our crepes were delivered by a tall man with frosted tips and a small dark moustache.

"Would you like a crepe?" I offered Antonella, feeling rude that we'd be eating in front of her.

Amalia seemed so happy to see her that I didn't want her to think  she had to run off and leave us to our meal.

"Oh no," she shook her head and her smile morphed into an almost sad sigh. "Where did you find this one?" She asked Amalia with her thick accent. "So rare now. Gentlemen are disappearing!"

Amalia tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear, her grin was full of pride. To save her from feeling as if she needed to boast about me, I decided to pick up the conversation.

It was a little uncomfortable to hear people gushing over how wonderful you are when you were just behaving like a decent human being.

"So, Antonella, do you live here in El Born?"

"Sí," she smiled. "All of my life. Our familia owns a bed and breakfast a block over. That is how I met Elias and Carmen, when they were Newlyweds!"

Amalia stiffened in her chair. I saw it. Not that I could have missed it. She gave me an unconvincing smile and pushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Uh, Nella," her knees were bouncing under the table. I could feel it. "Carm— Mom— she doesn't know I'm here. Please don't— don't tell her."