(38)

"Did you see what those stupid fucking news articles were commenting about me?" Abby screeched down the phone. As she'd been doing for the last ten minutes. "Accusing me of cheating on Flynn. Claiming I don't deserve the last name Lahey because I'm a common hoe?"

I lifted a throw pillow on the couch and dropped it again when it didn't reveal my keys. They were hiding somewhere in this apartment.

"Abby, who cares? Flynn knows you aren't cheating on him."

"That's not the point. These assholes could ruin families. Lives. The photos were on a damn set for fucks sakes."

"Wait, what? There are photos?"

"I was doing a shoot. I had to cuddle Luis. He's tall and handsome but he's in love with his freaking husband."

I sighed and found the keys in the fruit bowl.
"Look I know it's bullshit that these articles can spill lies and all of that. But it's the nature of the industry. This isn't the first time it's happened and it won't be the last."

"Well it doesn't happen to you. Even Lucas doesn't get it as bad."

"It'd be pretty hard to frame Lucas for cheating when he posts photos of Milly every other night and tags it queen of cream."

"He's such a dick."

"She does it too."

"They're going to turn into one of those NSFW accounts. And I'll have to pour bleach over my own eyes."

I laughed and left the apartment with a coat on. It was cold this morning. Not freezing but fall was sweeping in.

It was Saturday morning and I didn't have work but I did have a plan to head on over to Delgado's to see if Amalia was around.

She was at the tattoo parlour during the week but I knew she helped her Dad around the studio during the weekend.

"Talk to Mom about the journalist thing. She'll know what to do," I suggested.

She was right. It didn't happen to me all that often because I kept on the down low and didn't lead a very scandalous or public life. There isn't much to write about a person who goes to a nine to five office job.

"The last time Mom and Dad got hit with a cheating rumour scandal, Dad posted a video of them in the bath together, drinking wine and there was a vibrator in the background. That's not the kind of advice I need."

"That must be where Lucas gets it from."

"Flynn would never go for it."

"That's a shame."

I was quietly relieved. I did not need anyone else in my family oversharing their sex lives.

"Well I guess I should go," she sighed. "I'm going back to bed for a nap. Done with this day already."

"Sleep well. Talk tonight? After Lucas' game. All three of us?"

"Yeah. Mom and Dad will be there too. They're going to the game."

"Sweet," I said and hailed a cab when I was out on the footpath.

We ended the phone call and I sat back in the leather seats of the cab, nervous but excited to see Amalia again.

I'd decided to be open and honest about what I was feeling. Perhaps I was getting wound up for no reason.

She might not have interest in going on a date at all. If that was the case, at least I would know and there would be no more stress.